When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dayton

-
I noticed those cups too and don't ever recall seeing a Huffman product with them
I've been told they show up in 1939 and 1940 on high end bikes badged Dayton and National. I own a 1940 badge Dayton with them. John can commit more but they are machined rather than stamped.

Here is a 1940 frame (with welded kickstand), fork dated 1-40 with the same cups.

1940dayton.jpg

And another (possibly owned by John).

IMG_1352 copy.jpeg

Last edited:
Great bike!

Btw it looks like it is running a 1/2" pitch Monark chainring and a piecrust drilled one at that. It was used on Monark built aluminum and steel bicycles. My best guess is it was done to facilitate a rear wheel replacement which had a 1/2" pitch cog. Note chrome mismatch front to rear. Front may be og. Are the rim profiles an exact match? Noting it has a dogleg crank. It would be instructive to pull the crank for inspection to see if it is a Monark or Huffman unit.

Great bike!

Btw it looks like it is running a 1/2" pitch Monark chainring and a piecrust drilled one at that. It was used on Monark built aluminum and steel bicycles. My best guess is it was done to facilitate a rear wheel replacement which had a 1/2" pitch cog. Note chrome mismatch front to rear. Front may be og. Are the rim profiles an exact match? Noting it has a dogleg crank. It would be instructive to pull the crank for inspection to see if it is a Monark or Huffman unit.
rims match and the chainring is shown in the catalog for 39 on the deluxe bikes

Back