When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dean Hovey handbuilt - Los Altos, CA

-
I now own the bike. I am interested in how someone would recognize it as a Dean Hovey bike. As you can see the paint is in bad shape and I wanted to powder coat it white. Was the current yellow the color of all Hovey bikes? I do not want to do anything that would "erase" anything that identifies this as a Dean Hovey bike.

Thanks,

billy

I now own the bike. I am interested in how someone would recognize it as a Dean Hovey bike. As you can see the paint is in bad shape and I wanted to powder coat it white. Was the current yellow the color of all Hovey bikes? I do not want to do anything that would "erase" anything that identifies this as a Dean Hovey bike.

Thanks,

billy
Have you tried reaching out to The Bicycle Outfitter shop that is mentioned in the article I linked? I would think that would be an excellent place to start for authentication.

There is still a velodrome in San Jose, and even after WWII there were several others in the Bay Area. DeSimone's was another serious bike shop in San Jose.

I still have this bike and want to powder coat it. The Bicycle Outfitter Shop could not give me any info on Dean Hovey or how to contact him. I messaged him on facebook but no reply. Seems he is not active on that site. I want to coat it white, but, if yellow was the "Hovey" color then I would go that way. Can anyone help me get in touch with Dean???
Thanks!

why?
Thanks
IDK myself for sure but, it's prob a late 70's-80's bike and that's when or before Calif. virtually band sales of DuPont's Imron paint. It's some seriously hard and soft air/ jet liner paint that was many a favorite for bikes in this period for it's super durability. An epoxy type where No Baking is required. It's not outlawed in every state and can be color match at paint stores who carry it. (Just a guess that it may be Imron). Trek used back then and I painted my 41 Chevy in 1982 in So. Calif. before it was banned, with it. So, U should continue to inquire for the paint options that bike had originally.

Imron is still available in California. Not even close to the product that sold in the 70's to 90's. It is marketed as an industrial coating.
Not a lot of single stage paints left. Will take some abuse and looks like paint. Always wear a respirator guys! TOXIC

Back