When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dear 1937 True Hawthorne Zep Owners

-

Barto

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
More Zep discussion.

In 1937 I understand that the Snyder "Fastback" frames were used by several builders, the big two being Hawthorne and Rollfast. Both companies shared components as well as frames, at a minimum Tanks! If someone knows what else was shared in 1937, please add to the thread.

Because I'm now trying to piece one together, I would like to use correct parts. My now current point of interest is the rear carrier on the 1937 Zep, (Strictly a Hawthorne product). What is it supposed to look like? I have photos of what look like OG Hawthorne and Rollfast sporting the exact same Rear Carrier! But I've seen photos of Hawthornes having carriers previously thought to be Rollfast! If you look at the Catalog photo, the carrier mounted on the bike on the right (the Zep) and the carrier highlighted at the bottom of the catalog page look different to me!! Which one is correct?

So, what do the Carriers look like on your True 1937 Zep!
All photos and the Catalog page are copied from various threads on the CABE as I looked for what is correct!

Thx,

BART

1654122215581.png
1654123188635.png

1654122409803.png
1654122595873.png

Hawthorne and Rollfast were not the makers of these bikes. All of these bikes no matter how badged are Snyder products. The seller and model were what determined which parts went on it. The first pic is the correct Zep rack. V/r Shawn

Hawthorne and Rollfast were not the makers of these bikes. All of these bikes no matter how badged are Snyder products. The seller and model were what determined which parts went on it. The first pic is the correct Zep rack. V/r Shawn
So, with that said , it would’nt be uncommon to have multiply common parts between brands!
Based on previous conversations, I was thinking the same Shawn - then I started looking and got confused!

Bart

Ok, first, they are all Snydey built, Rollfast is their in house badge, some parts are shared, I think the store/distributor picked parts for their stores model out of a parts book ( or Snyder put a package together or a designer did ), some things were more specific as the locks on Hawthorns, as for the rack in the ad, that's for the Comet above it as that speedo, mine has the same rack as Zep in pic and that rack only fits correctly on a fastback frame and not adjustable like the comet rack. Mine also has what I've always been told was rare rubber cushion & cover/top seat, as far as the lock, always thought frame mount was earlier but was just thinking sense the fork mount has more complicated with moving parts ( that break! ) maybe the frame mount took it's place?, alot of stuff never made it into the catalog, I have a 24 inch Zep with tank & a fork lock, a friend took that lock apart and was never able the put back together.

So, I got this same frame from @mrg but without components. The below photo depicts the 1937 Snyder Frame, correct Paisley Chain Guard and Hawthorne Chain Ring. The 37 frame & rear fender brackets are void of dropstand stops so it points to a ZEP....Agreed??? I see a hole in the lower rear fender but suspect that's for a reflector and not a drop stand. Not versed on Handle bars yet, but these look kinda Rollfast to me - thoughts?
My opinion is that Snyder used this Frame to build Hawthorne Zeps!

@Freqman1, is this the same kick stand yours has?

1654189793048.png

I think some time in 36 they started the deluxe Zep line for the 37 model yr and were still using the collard seat clamp, don't know if anybody has went as far into the ser #'s to figure out actually when clamp & lock changed, I have never seen any Snyder literature or bike other than Zep with any type of fork lock, only ones I've seen with either lock were badged Hawthorn, as far as drop stand some models had it built into the fender brackets rather than the frame and some yrs built into the frame. Fenders on both bikes pictured are not OG, they had ducktail on both front & rear and seems like most have the square stock stand pictured in ad.

Last edited:
Back