When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dear 1937 True Hawthorne Zep Owners

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Looks like a 36 to me with the early headtube lock. I'm not so sure this would be considered an actual top of the line "Zep".
Just for information value - other then the Collet, what do you think is suspect Mike?

thx,
Bart

Seen one posted here yrs ago ( still looking ), I have never seen any other Snyder/Hawthorn model with a fork lock?, prototype?, never seen it as a option in any catalog either.

This is a Manton Smith Lock assy, simple cylinder’s! The 36 I posted
I've never seen an original Zep with either that fork lock or the collet seat post binder. V/r Shawn
Interesting Shawn, begs the question, has anyone seen or have a photo or catalog of a Zep with the same style steer tube lock as the above 1936?
Thx,
Bart

1654197118485.jpeg

1654197484323.jpeg

I think some time in 36 they started the deluxe Zep line for the 37 model yr and were still using the collard seat clamp, don't know if anybody has went as far into the ser #'s to figure out actually when clamp & lock changed, I have never seen any Snyder literature or bike other than Zep with any type of fork lock, only ones I've seen with either lock were badged Hawthorn, as far as drop stand some models had it built into the fender brackets rather than the frame and some yrs built into the frame. Fenders on both bikes pictured are not OG, they had ducktail on both front & rear and seems like most have the square stock stand pictured in ad.
Makes sense from a production standpoint, depending on inventory!

What is the serial number?
I believe that 1937 Snyder serial prefix letters are 1937-F (new West factory) and 1937-Y (old East factory).
I recall seeing on this site, a bike with a collet style seat post clamp (postulated to be one year only), and an apparent 1937 serial number prefix; (or maybe it was just hard to read?).

The locking mechanism is different with a push pin to lock and I think a few yrs earlier than M&S, I have never seen any Snyder built bike advertised with a fork lock besides the Zep.

Just curious if there is any trace of original paint-inside head tube or bottom bracket? Not black not Zep. V/r Shawn

Back