When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dec '71 tandem

-

thom

Look Ma, No Hands!
IMG_20230328_164444179_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230328_164505852_HDR.jpg

One of the tandems I have is this green Dec '71. It currently has wrong mismatching wheels that I plan to upgrade. I would like to install a good rear brake, like the drum on my '85 Columbia Twosome. Where is a good source for one?

Curious why you would want your "good brake" to be on the rear wheel?

Any serious sport motorcycle will have dual "large diameter" disk brakes on the front wheel, and a small single disk brake on the rear wheel. It's because of weight transfer during braking. It's too easy to skid the rear wheel.

Food for thought.

John

Curious why you would want your "good brake" to be on the rear wheel?

Any serious sport motorcycle will have dual "large diameter" disk brakes on the front wheel, and a small single disk brake on the rear wheel. It's because of weight transfer during braking. It's too easy to skid the rear wheel.

Food for thought.

John
I was thinking something better that a caliper brake on the rear rim. Pardon my ignorance.

With those disc brakes anything is possible, but you’ll need someone to accurately weld bosses on the frame. Not to mention finding hubs and spreading the drop outs so the lock nut dimension is the same.

I’d bet you could find a nice complete tandem cheaper.

Last edited:
I was thinking something better that a caliper brake on the rear rim. Pardon my ignorance.

A caliper brake is a disk brake.

From a braking standpoint it is very effective, but it has it's downfalls. It is dependent on how true the rim is, it is dependent on the rim's friction material (carbon/steel/aluminum), and all of the braking heat is transferred into the tire, not a good thing.

Most good tandems have three brakes.

If your going to build up a tandem, start with at least a quality chromoly frame to begin your project. You will be spending a lot of money.

You can buy a used quality tandem much cheaper than you can build one. Lots of good ones are for sale.

John

I cut it up with my sawzall and put it on a load going to the scrapyard after I found out it was worthless.

Back