When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dedicated camping bike

-

drglinski

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have been kicking around the idea for a dedicated camping/campground bike for a while. I've taken my 74 Sprint in years past for long rides outside of camp but it isn't that practical for the actual campgrounds. (Getting firewood, ice, using the bathroom building, etc). This year I took a single speed Typhoon and that was just about right. Easy to pedal, nothing to really go wrong, wide tires, upright seating, and can still ride a short distance to get ice cream etc.

At the beginning of this month I acquired a new camper with a built in bike rack. The way it's designed a middleweight doesn't fit it well, and where it's positioned behind the axle of the trailer I'd really not like that heavy of a bike on there anyway. I was granted a week off of work due to catching COVID so I set to put together something else that might work with the parts I had on hand.

I took an 80s 10 speed Schwinn Sprint that I didn't ride much, took all of the 10 speediness out of it, removed the drop bars, saddle, and added tourist bars from a breeze and 26" single speed wheels I had lying around. Fenders I had on the bike and they will work good enough. Added a mattress saddle and a rear rack. I just used the front gearing it already had since it was inline with the rear sprocket. It's going to need some better pedals, it doesn't have that high of a top end speed but it does have good acceleration. It should work great in a campground. Bonus: it doesn't weigh that much and fits my campers bike rack just fine. So far I have $0 invested in this build.

I have a similar bike. Used for running errands (picking up a 12 pack, etc.) I bought a 63 lightweight Traveler ($20) for the bow pedals, seat, and a couple of other items. Sold the fenders and wheel set. Put a set of Chinese middleweight tires/wheels on it along with a rear rack, and a different seat. Single speed but good for what I use it. The frame and alloy wheels make it my "go to" bike for puttering to and fro. Light weight, good gearing, and bigger tires.
IMG_20200921_114753070.jpg

I don't have a dedicated camping bike since a lot depends on where I'm going and what I plan to be doing. I've camped with my prewar cycleytuck, a prewar C model 3spd klunker and a vintage Klien mtb...

This is an awesome move and I support it. I'd prolly add a front basket for, you know, sundries... or what have you ;)

Back