When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Definitive answer........

-

Mad Mike

Look Ma, No Hands!
Can someone help me please...... I have many bikes, and I need some help..... This is regarding fender supports to the frame mounting.......... MFG's may be different. I put the back support first (on the rear fender), then the front,(same) then the rack in the rear next, in order.......
In the front, I put the back supports first, then the fronts, then truss rods/springer, whatever.....
I've never witnessed the "order" at all....... I'm just trying to get my "fleet" in line, and correct.
I hope this makes sense......? Fender supports in order to hub mounting. Which goes first,second, etc.....
Thanks-M

I like the way the prior question was better stated in terms of inside and outside. I was wondering why the rear accessories were being mounted in the front, or why it mattered if the front or rear wheel was done first(!).
I prefer the more vertical braces nearest the frame, thinking that perhaps gravity might help reduce the collection of water(?).

Last edited:
Sooooo- I went with this. Correct from the factory or not! Front fender brace on first. Rear fender brace second, and the particular bike has truss rods, last....... Had to find a "used" (look) washer before the final nut......
Very interesting info from all, and all the threads, but - one that struck was fender braces "bending" being on the outside..... On this bike, it actually made a difference=cleared better, and NO tweaking of the supports......
I will investigate through my "fleet"/"collection", to improve things, and uniform.
Thanks to all.

Sooooo- I went with this. Correct from the factory or not! Front fender brace on first. Rear fender brace second, and the particular bike has truss rods, last....... Had to find a "used" (look) washer before the final nut......
Very interesting info from all, and all the threads, but - one that struck was fender braces "bending" being on the outside..... On this bike, it actually made a difference=cleared better, and NO tweaking of the supports......
I will investigate through my "fleet"/"collection", to improve things, and uniform.
Thanks to all.
This has bugged me before too. I do a search here or on google looking for an original bike or ad and see how the setup is. I usually find truss rod first, then top(front) fender brace, rear fender brace then rack braces on front. Same order on rear for fender, most frames have separate mounting on rear for rack. To me the truss rods first on front make absolute sense, so they are tight to the outside of fork and not stressed outward. When searching compare a couple bikes because remember one flat tire and the owner could have put it back wrong.

agree^ but.... supports would interfere with each other, and i'll have the strongest part against the hub nut.... Just going with the "supports" twisting under load idea. Even in mock up, and assembly= things cleared better=no interference/touching of supports, and the truss's are secured outside.

As long as we ride, and are safe, we are all good!

Back