When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Delta Torpedo Headlight and Evaporust

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jchicago

Finally riding a big boys bike
My recently acquired Elgin had a nice Delta Torpedo Headlight attached. It was all rusted inside and not working. I was already shopping the Cabe and eBay for a replacement.

I had a pool of Evaporust going, figured it's toast anyway, so in the name of science, why not give it a shot?

I removed the bulb and reflector, then put the bottom portion in the Evaporust yesterday afternoon and soaked it overnight. I steel brushed the inside a bit more this morning, wiped it down, and let it dry outside.

It did an amazing job not only removing the rust, but leaving the paint intact. The pic below shows the bottom where the rust was. Those areas are black now, with no further damage to the paint.

Then to my surprise, it actually worked! Granted, the problem could've been the bulb, but turns out it wasn't.

Yes Evaporust is pricier, but it pays for itself.

IMG_3156.JPG

IMG_1941.JPG

IMG_7915.JPG

IMG_7665 2.JPG

IMG_5390.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

Nice! Yeah, I keep a jug in the shop...picked it up at Harbor Frieght one day when it was on sale... I had the same results as you on several painted rusty items... For sure I've been wowed by the result and feel the product is well worth the sale price. There is of course a point of no return...

You can save yourself some money by using white vinegar that is the main ingredient in evaporust. I have been using it for years works great and it is less tha $3 for a gallon.
Thanks–good to know. Just for kicks, I'll try them side by side sometime.

Thank you for taking the time to share your results. It’s nice to see how the stuff works on different components in varying stages of deterioration. Headlight looks nice!

Thanks–good to know. Just for kicks, I'll try them side by side sometime.
I use plastic containers with lids put the parts in and let sit for 8 to 24 hours depending on how bad they are. Then when you are done you can strain it to get the dirt out and store it back in the bottle. I use my wife's old nylons to strain thru. As long as it has a strong vinegar smell it will keep working.

Back