When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DELUXE LOCK NUTS for crank & head set of Elgin Twinbar - Mercury Pacemaker -

-

hcdsign

Finally riding a big boys bike
Good morning, I am pondering re-poping the Mercury & Elgin deluxe bicycle lock nuts. These are the lock nuts that have 2 flats on them rather than the regular hex shape for a wrench. I am pondering making approx 25 pairs of the crank & head set lock nuts out of stainless steel. The outside radius will be hand polished, or electro-polished, depending on results. These will be dead on knock offs of the original parts! In doing the math, Id have to get $25 to $30 per deluxe lock nut or $50-$60 per pair. In my mind this price would be the worst case scenario. They may be a little cheaper, but definitely not more. If there is enough interest, I will dig further into the project, but for now just putting the feelers out to get some reaction... FYI - I have also been knocking off dropstand bolts for a few years, that are also an exact knockoff to the original... (drop stand bolts are stainless, but NOT polished)

Please LMK what you think...

Elgin & Merc locknut head tube.jpg
Elgin & Merc locknut bottom bracket 1.jpg
Drop stand bolts.jpg

I currently don't need one of these nuts, but I see a lot of Twins that don't have the correct nut. First thing I bought for mine, because it's kind of a tell tale piece. I think some owners aren't even aware they need this piece. Your price also seems right on the mark with what originals go for when you can find them, which isn't often and then usually in need of re- chrome if desired. Good luck with this, I think it's a worthwhile idea.

Reactions: JLF
Back