When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Derailleur Help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

wrongway

I live for the CABE
This may seem like a stupid question, but......well, sometimes you have to ask. I took apart my '82 Schwinn World and tonight I want to put new cables on it. Which sprocket (small or large) should the chain be on and in what shifter position do I want to start out in when putting on new cable? I'm probably over thinking this.

Big and forward or maybe both of us are over thinking it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While RJ is very good and I watched that video at lunch.....my bike has the stem shifters and I can't recall if up is 'low' or 'high' or if down is 'low' or 'high'.

At rest the derailleur will be in the small cog position. That means the shift lever should NOT be pulling on the cable that goes to the derailleur. When you pull the shift lever it moves the chain to the larger cogs. Setting the limit screws before installing the chain will sometimes allow you to better eyeball the alignment of the upper derailleur pulley to the respective cogs (high and low)

At rest the derailleur will be in the small cog position. That means the shift lever should NOT be pulling on the cable that goes to the derailleur. When you pull the shift lever it moves the chain to the larger cogs. Setting the limit screws before installing the chain will sometimes allow you to better eyeball the alignment of the upper derailleur pulley to the respective cogs (high and low)
That's make sense. Thanks everyone!

OK, I thought I had this. It worked on the bicycle stand, but on the test ride the front dérailleur won't shift to the bigger sprocket. It might get halfway on and still rotate, but that's it. I'm sure it's an adjustment issue, but.....

Derailleurs are a love/hate relationship for me. I can get a 1990s Huffy runninng as good as a 1970's Schwinn. Other times, I want to beat my head against a brick wall. My Sears Spyder has aggravated me to the point that I want to sell it - but it's worthless unless it is rideable. I might part it.

It honestly just takes patience and know-how. Sometimes, the derailleur may not be correct for the bike, I have found that out the hard way before. It be hung up somewhere inside, or it might need the screws adjusted.

Derailleurs are a love/hate relationship for me. I can get a 1990s Huffy runninng as good as a 1970's Schwinn. Other times, I want to beat my head against a brick wall. My Sears Spyder has aggravated me to the point that I want to sell it - but it's worthless unless it is rideable. I might part it.

It honestly just takes patience and know-how. Sometimes, the derailleur may not be correct for the bike, I have found that out the hard way before. It be hung up somewhere inside, or it might need the screws adjusted.
I'm a Sturmey Archer 3 speed guy and now I know why! :) I'll get this, though.....eventually. Of all the things that sound crazy to buy, I bought an original owners manual for this bike that I saw on ebay. I'm starting to think it was a good idea! It should come in the mail today.

how I do:

• check derailer hanger alignment
  • install rear derailer
  • check/set high gear (smallest cog) limit screw
  • push derailer to low gear position and check/set low gear limit screw
  • install chain on smallest cog in rear and smallest ring in front
  • install cable, pulling snug but not tight enough to move derailer
  • shift thru gears, fine adjustments on limits, adjust cable tension

Back