When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Derby ladies bicycle

-

louisr

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I picked this one up the other day at American Cyclery in San Francisco. I had initially thought I'd use the skip tooth chain for another project [Montgomery Wards Hawthorne] but am now rethinking that plan.
I'd like to find out who made this bike and the model year.
Have seen comments indicating that it might be a Westfield or a Murray.
I don't have any idea if the 24" wheel set is original or not. No reason to believe they are not, but they look kind of small for the fenders that are mounted. It has a New Departure Model D hub.
Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided.

IMG_6414.JPG

IMG_6415.JPG

IMG_6416.JPG

IMG_6417.JPG

IMG_6418.JPG

IMG_6419.JPG

IMG_6420.JPG

IMG_6426.jpg

Yes, it is a Murray-built. Likely a 1939-D; (unless there is another stamping).
The bike is similar to Elgin models made for Sears by Murray (and Westfield).
Derby was a product sold by Manny, Moe and Jack.
Wheels look like they have about an inch of extra room all around.

Last edited:
In my opinion I believe the girls Murray Derby bicycles are rare with that particular head badge. I just have not see that many and a google search doesn’t produce that many. Below is a 37 that I restored for my granddaughter (the colors were her choice). I don’t believe your rear wheel is correct. What size is the front tire?

Thanks for your response. Great job on that bike for your granddaughter !
The wheels are 24". They seem to match the rest of the bike paint scheme leading me to believe they are original equipment. However, I believe that the bike more than likely came with 26" wheels [559 I assume] I don't really have a plan for this bike. I bought it and an old exercycle for not much money; as they both have skip tooth gearing I was planning on using one of the chains on another bike I recently acquired - a ladies Montgomery Ward Hawthorne. It has the headlamp and the frame tanks complete with a horn! I might end up building it with conventional gears and abandon the skip tooth setup. photos of exercise bike attached.

IMG_6372.JPG

IMG_6373.JPG

IMG_6375.JPG

IMG_6376.JPG

The 8-points snowflake design on the chain ring sprocket has a history through Reading Standard PA; Great Western Mfg. IND; and then HP Snyder. The crown on the fork pedestal looks like a Snyder product.
The chain ring sprocket has 22 teeth, which might be factored into the project bike.

The 8-points snowflake design on the chain ring sprocket has a history through Reading Standard PA; Great Western Mfg. IND; and then HP Snyder. The crown on the fork pedestal looks like a Snyder product.
The chain ring sprocket has 22 teeth, which might be factored into the project bike.
thanks for your reply [ and for the 1st one as well ! ] I hate throwing old stuff away. will rob parts and find a spot. I own a 1960 Schwinn Tornado and a 58 American. I need to move these 2 ladies bikes out and find a mens D-frame [straight bar] that I can have fun on ! appreciate your assistance

Back