When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Desireable traits that make for a classic bike.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cyclingday

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Ok,

There's been alot of ten best/ten most conversations lately, and in the spirit of the discussion, my thoughts were, that although I am primarily a Schwinn collector, I really like a lot of features from the many different bicycle brands over the years.

So with that said, I thought that I would start a discussion on what features were liked or disliked from throughout cyclings history.

I'll start with the fenderlight.

My best was Schwinns from 1940 to 1959

My worst was the Shelby circa 1950 the one that looks like a clothes iron. (It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of the Shelby design team, so most of the things on my worst list will come from them.)

But, that's just me.

What is on your best and worst feature list?

Last edited:
To continue the anti-Shelby thing, their attempt at a springer to rival Schwinn's...........TERRIBLE!!!!, Ug-Leeeeee....

My two cents.......

I would say the most desirable trait in a classic bicycle for me is ONE THAT FITS!

And people say being tall is great???

The most desireable trait to me would be the stretched Huffman frames, great for taller guys!

Dial A Ride

Although I mostly collect Schwinn, I like the Dayton/Huffy Dial-A-Ride Springer. Pretty Cool.

F.A.

rare and unusual stuff is always desirable. prewar is always preferable. original is always better.

I look for really good classic lines in the frames...they must flow and be smooth, not abrupt.
"Curves and lines, of grand designs." Neil Peart

I agree.

Curves are more pleasing to the eye.

The curved miller side stand was curved so that when the stand was in the upright position, it flowed nicely with the curves of the chain stays.

On the other side of the spectrum you have the side stand on the 1941 Elgin Four Star deluxe. The frame with the Murray built Mono/wishbone chainstay design.

It was made out of flat bar stock. and had two big ugly carriage bolts that stuck up on each side of the mono stay portion of the frame.

That thing looks like a total after thought.

No designed aesthetics at all.

I would say the most desirable trait in a classic bicycle for me is ONE THAT FITS!

And people say being tall is great???

AMEN! I'm tempted to wear a helmet where ever I go. Ever watch "Home Improvement"? Tim always knocks his head on that pipe in the basement..I feel his pain. My granny has also changed how she arranges the dining room for opening the presents. She will have the giant table moved and that big 'ole chandalier...hanging, dangling, waiting for the few years old Christmas tradition of me forgetting about it when I arrive and...BANG! I'm seeing stars, her chandalier is rocking profusley, and the crystals laying all over the floor. I'm sure its a real hoot if you are watching...but for me it is quite painful.

Back