When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did I order the right bearings/axle?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

db111

On Training Wheels
I have a BF goodrich bike that belongs to a family member. It's in rough shape but I'm just getting it rideable. It was missing the front bearings and axle. The hub looks exactly like this one: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/schwinn-36-hole-front-hub.73042/ and I ordered: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=153413210777
The bearing cups included in the kit seem just slightly too big, but I managed to put the bearings and axle in. It doesn't feel super smooth turning the axle by hand, but the wheel spins free for a long time like any normal bike when in the air. I haven't rode it yet. It's quiet and seems to fit together right, but I want to make sure I got the right stuff. Thanks!

Can't say for sure if you used the correct parts or not. But reading your sellers info I'd say no, not correct. The hub you pointed out is Union made and it's not a Schwinn script hub or a ND hub mentioned by your seller. You could have purchased a complete NOS Union hub for the parts at 8 bucks.

If it feels like it doesn't fit, it probably doesn't fit. IMHO take it apart and post lots of pictures. of the hub and the old and new parts.

I probably wont know, but there are plenty of others here who will.

I'm going to order the union hub and compare the parts, the price is right. Thanks, I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Unless I didn't read correctly what wasn't revealed is that if you order a new hub, you have to take the spokes out of the old one and relace the wheel. Most bearings have a standard number stamped into the outer ring of the retainer. You'll probably need your cheaters to read it. See if you can read the number off your old bearings.

Or you can measure the balls in your old bearings and pop new ones in.

I bought a 500 ball assortment of bearings in bicycle sizes for less than $10 and free shipping (amazon). They are grade 25, which is quite a bit better grade than what you probably get if you just buy whole retainers. Just pop em in. Better AND cheaper.

Was your axle stripped? Bent? Did you need new cones? If I remember correctly there are 3 possibilities for the threads on Schwinn and Schwinn Approved hubs that look about like that. 24tpi, 26tpi, and 1.0mm. Do your old cones and nuts fit the new axle?

We are spinning our wheels until we have seen pictures, and probably measurements of these parts.

Unless I didn't read correctly what wasn't revealed is that if you order a new hub, you have to take the spokes out of the old one and relace the wheel.

I think the idea was the hub was so inexpensive you could just take the parts off of it.

The OP stated the bike came with no axle or bearings. I'd have to assume since the axle was gone so were the cones and all the nuts.

Wow, how did I miss that? Oops.... :oops:

Are we sure it's a Union hub? GTs58's suggestion of buying a Union hub is sounding better and better by the minute.

The union hub arrived. I can't see the bearing cups without taking it apart, unlike the original hub that I have, so I'm assuming the bearings are different enough to not be compatible. It also has the same slightly rough feel, although I'm sure it could use some fresh grease. All that boils down to me using the hub that I have with a little more confidence, and including this union hub as a spare part in case things don't work out in the long run. Thanks guys! I might come back later with a new thread because the rear hub has a TON of play.

Thanks for the update.

After you saying you can't see the cups in the new hub, I have to assume your original hub and your replace parts did not have the dust covers that the new hub has.

Back