When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did I Over Tighten The Spokes?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Auggie56

Look Ma, No Hands!
Replaced all the spokes and trued up the rim so it wouldn't wobble as it rolled down the road. All looked well and good till I noticed there was about three-sixteenth run-out in spots. I was tired so I put the wheel away till I talked with you guys.

Thanks

Your spokes should be sized for the rim so that you don’t need to trim the spokes. Rarely should they have to be cut/trimmed. How is the radial, lateral and center true? What is the location of the spokes that seem too long? Sometimes the wheel has been curbed and needs to be pulled to fix the radial true. A quick indicator that spokes are too tight is when you can see the metal stretched upward around the nipple(s). It would be nice to see pics or a YouTube video of the wheel as it spins.

There needs to be even tension on all spokes. If there is less tension in some spokes, but the wheel spins true, the hoop is bent.

Your spokes should be sized for the rim so that you don’t need to trim the spokes. Rarely should they have to be cut/trimmed. How is the radial, lateral and center true? What is the location of the spokes that seem too long? Sometimes the wheel has been curbed and needs to be pulled to fix the radial true. A quick indicator that spokes are too tight is when you can see the metal stretched upward around the nipple(s). It would be nice to see pics or a YouTube video of the wheel as it spins.

There needs to be even tension on all spokes. If there is less tension in some spokes, but the wheel spins true, the hoop is bent.

I went back at it today and there were several spokes the were tight. Loosening them actually solved the problem. The wheel runs pretty true except for a slight bend on one side. Thanks

The type of bend depends on the angle of impact if we are assuming that there was an impact that affected radial true. It’s strange because sometimes the lateral true is perfect yet there is bend on only one side of the hoop. To fix that, I use a large crescent wrench and cloth and enclose the wrench over the rag and stretch the bent side of the hoop in the direction it needs to go. But not before I loosen up the spokes at and near the bend. The big picture here is even tension on all spokes. A bend on one side of the hoop will also cause a warped region in your tire.

Good, I’m glad you fixed the problem.

Back