When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Schwinn Corvette 1957 come with Torpedo 3 gang hub?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

CafeCruiser

Look Ma, No Hands!
I found a 1957 Schwinn Corvette with a Torpedo 3Gang hub in the rear wheel, is that correct? I’ve never seen that type of hub on a Schwinn.
246B98F1-4C94-4C30-9469-47827B419EC6.jpeg

BE33099F-9F97-494D-A091-45422005C880.jpeg

I'll add to this thread since it has the pictures. The rim is stated as being an S-7 so the next question, is the Schwinn Tubular S-7 stamped off to one side of the rim or in the center? Reason I ask is, this 415 model Torpedo hub production was 1962 - 1984. I can't say if Schwinn used these much later down the road or not but I couldn't find any info or Schwinn examples equipped with the Torpedo hub, just the Schwinn Approved Austrian 3 speed hub during Sturmys issues. So the rear wheel or possibly just the hub has been swapped out. Also check your shifter to see if it's mated to the Torpedo hub or a different make hub.

1636954386746.png

I'll add to this thread since it has the pictures. The rim is stated as being an S-7 so the next question, is the Schwinn Tubular S-7 stamped off to one side of the rim or in the center? Reason I ask is, this 415 model Torpedo hub production was 1962 - 1984. I can't say if Schwinn used these much later down the road or not but I couldn't find any info or Schwinn examples equipped with the Torpedo hub, just the Schwinn Approved Austrian 3 speed hub during Sturmys issues. So the rear wheel or possibly just the hub has been swapped out. Also check your shifter to see if it's mated to the Torpedo hub or a different make hub.

View attachment 1512598

View attachment 1512598
It does have the Torpedo shifter and cables. Also the Tubular S7 markings are stamped in the center of the rim.

In the late '50's Schwinn fitted some of their 3 speeds with the Sturmey-Archer SW hub, a design which was supposed to replace the AW but proved to have problems. This could have been a replacement for an unreliable SW.

In the late '50's Schwinn fitted some of their 3 speeds with the Sturmey-Archer SW hub, a design which was supposed to replace the AW but proved to have problems. This could have been a replacement for an unreliable SW.
Thanks Oilit for sharing.

'57 would have been right during the problem years of the Sturmey SW hub. It was revised several times because it was apparent fairly quickly that the floating crescent pawl design wasn't working well. Even after a couple of revisions, the problems continued into 1958. I would guess this was to replace a problematic SW hub.

'57 would have been right during the problem years of the Sturmey SW hub. It was revised several times because it was apparent fairly quickly that the floating crescent pawl design wasn't working well. Even after a couple of revisions, the problems continued into 1958. I would guess this was to replace a problematic SW hub.

Since the model 415 Torpedo hub wasn't available until 1962 it was a much later replacement by some owner and not a factory equipped item. I've also seen Brampton 3 speed hubs on a few 50's middleweights.

Back