When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did The Nazis Invent The Bicycle Reflector?

-

leo healy

Look Ma, No Hands!
Something I came across while looking for something totally un connected 😲,?.
Fair dues to who ever did invent them ,wish they enforced the law on the illuminating of bicycles the world over as
a lot a P?@,>,@;L are still riding around with nothing.
And its not as if costs alot for a set a lights,,,,,,, ARRRRGGGGGHHHHG.

https://www.berlinexperiences.com/did-the-nazis-invent-the-bicycle-reflector-mythbusting-berlin/ .

Few pics of some reflectors i was cleaning from a set a pedals a while back, was going to post them in the macro section at the time .

In the pics you can see the tolo in the shape of a bicycle .

004.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

008.JPG

I highly doubt the Nazis invented anything. Did the Nazis invent the Volkswagon? 😜 It's all in the wording. Invented under Nazis rule, inventions of the Nazi period etc..
Have you dated those reflectors?

What a strange article, well researched in one sense but totally lacking from a world perspective. He doesn't seem to have done any research outside of Germany. Persons was selling bicycle reflectors in 1916 and likely before (see below). Interesting they call these tail lights and not reflectors. Torrington signal pedals were offered on the 1939 Zep. Does anyone know when they filed the patent on these pedals, and when they first appeared?

If I’m not mistaken, Stimsonite invented the reflector.
I would not be surprised if an American patent exists in the 19th century that did not catch on. Stimson's patent just improved the reflective capabilities of reflectors in the mid 1920's according to this:

Hi All
I don t think the writer is saying that its the reflector that was invented ,more to the use of reflectors on pedals?

from article,///////.
Complicated as it seems – the evidence seems to indicate that Anton Loibl did NOT invent the bicycle reflector – rather he filed for a patent for the arrangement of the reflector on a bicycle pedal, and clashed with the two inventors from Dresden who had already filed for patents for both the arrangement and the actual material to be used./////////

Although the activities of the Ahnenerbe came to an abrupt end in 1945 – the section of the traffic order which relates to reflectors, introduced by Himmler in November 1938, is still part of Germany’s street law for bicycles – the Straßenverkehrszulassungsordnung.

Along with two sets of functioning brakes and lights for travelling at night, all riders are required to display two yellow reflectors on each wheel – pedal reflectors – one white reflector on the front of the bike and one red reflector on the rear.//////////.

Hi All
I don t think the writer is saying that its the reflector that was invented ,more to the use of reflectors on pedals?

from article,///////.
Complicated as it seems – the evidence seems to indicate that Anton Loibl did NOT invent the bicycle reflector – rather he filed for a patent for the arrangement of the reflector on a bicycle pedal, and clashed with the two inventors from Dresden who had already filed for patents for both the arrangement and the actual material to be used./////////

Although the activities of the Ahnenerbe came to an abrupt end in 1945 – the section of the traffic order which relates to reflectors, introduced by Himmler in November 1938, is still part of Germany’s street law for bicycles – the Straßenverkehrszulassungsordnung.

Along with two sets of functioning brakes and lights for travelling at night, all riders are required to display two yellow reflectors on each wheel – pedal reflectors – one white reflector on the front of the bike and one red reflector on the rear.//////////.
This is still in use for all new bicycles sold in Europe in theory, plus side reflectors on the wheels.
The French and the British also had red rear reflectors in the first couple of decades of the 20th century.

Back