When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did you see what else he has for sale?- 1870s early highwheeler with wooden wheels- From Scotland

-

The Carolina Rambler

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello everyone, many of yall have seen this post below about the 1890 Columbia Roadster for sale in Illinois

but did yall see what else that fellow has for sale? I think its pretty awesome, and one of the earliest highwheel bicycles I have ever seen. It's a "transitional velocipede" I would guess probably circa 1872-75 thereabouts. It needs a new seat pan, handlebars, brake shoe and cable, pedals and cranks, and coaster foot rest, but it will be awesome when its done and has a very nice set of correct brand new wooden wheels. The seller says that this bicycle was found in Scotland, which is pretty neat also. Price is not too far off, I don't guess, a bit high for the work it needs.

1638561889020.png

1638561924590.png

1638561977808.png

1638562098259.png

Since it is from Scotland it's probably a little earlier than 1869/69 when the velocipede craze hit the US. There were some distractions here in the early 1860's... I'm not sure what is going on with the handlebars.

Since it is from Scotland it's probably a little earlier than 1869/69 when the velocipede craze hit the US. There were some distractions here in the early 1860's... I'm not sure what is going on with the handlebars.
I was wondering that same thing. If I was to guess, the yoke is currently not pushed down onto the square shaft all of the way. Perhaps the top end of the shaft is threaded and a large bolt will go there. As for the yoke itself, I assume that you would have to saw the cylindrical bar in the middle out, and then drill 2 large holes for the handlebar to go through. This would give you the twist grip handlebar system to operate the brake. I would ask the owner for sure, if I was going to bid on this, but I recently emailed that person asking for some advice or info regarding who built the wheels, since I too am needing a pair built like that at some point, and have yet to receive a response. Unless he somehow has not seen my message, I reckon he's ignoring me and might be the type unwilling to answer questions. Or, maybe he's just out of town.

Last edited:
Back