When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Die for fork

-
Yes sir! I worked as a machinist in an electric motor repair shop for years, I almost used the thread files everyday. Barry
Yep, a thread file isn’t really a file at all, it’s more of a shaping tool ground to restore the shape and pitch of boogered up threads. You can’t really over do it if you keep the tool perpendicular to the threads, it will only remove material that doesn’t fit its profile.

not sure what the original poster is fixing but I had some threads that were boogered up pretty good at the very top. the thread file was the perfect tool for that. I may not have been able to even start the threads with a die, but more important than that I did not have a die.

Well,Allrighty then. I think a novice would most certainly do more damage with a die. I’d think it would take an extra extra heavy hand to destroy threads with a THREAD FILE. I’ve used both many times over the years
you can adjust the cutting depth to some extent on the die with the screw that sits in the slot on the side of the die.

Back