When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dilemma(s), What would you do?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

all riders

Finally riding a big boys bike
This is a very recent find and a bit of a puzzle for me. As you can see this bike has the wrong color tank on it. But it is the right year(1960 bug eyes with metal lids) and it is a difficult tank to find. The bike itself is in really nice survivor shape.

Do you: mask off the white portion of the tank and paint the rest black with appropriate patina? Or, pass the tank onto someone with the red version who has been looking a long time thus preserving the original paint on the tank.
Like I said, the bike itself is quite nice with both correct racks and in general pretty darned
original, but without the tank it's kind of just another middleweight cantilever.

Second dilemma. This bike has two feature that are among my least favorite on heavy-middleweight bikes--wire racks, and cables(no offense to anyone, just my preferences), I could remove the racks, rear wheel, and shifter and store them to go back someday. again tough thing to do to a bike that has held onto its general showroom appearance.

Ultimately, I think I'll let it be someone else's decision( by passing this bike along),not because I can't make the call but because the bike doesn't matter to enough. Its cool(probably one of the better middleweights) but not really my thing.
What would you do?

DSCN0060.JPG

DSCN0058.JPG

DSCN0062.JPG

Sounds like you already made your decision. I’m not a middleweight guy either so this is a no-brainer. Put a price on it and list it in the for sale section. V/r Shawn

yeah, I sort of meant to start a bit of a collector's ethics discussion, and get a general sense of what others might do

looks great the way it is.

I would never paint that tank, looks right with the grips and pedals.

They are cool bikes, albeit, tiny feeling when I ride them. I prefer a 28" wheel set.

Tank looks good on that bike to me and Had I mind for a black one, at some point, in a life time search, to change it out, I'd keep riding the red and pawn off it to somebody with red, (maybe trade to somebody with black but has red bike) moreover, when the time comes. trade up, not paint it down.

Back