When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dimensions of Rollfast/Hawthorne springer fork rocker plates and bushings?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jimmiroquai

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi all. Recently acquired a Rollfast springer fork with the help of this great forum. Unfortunately, it's missing the rocker plates and bushings. I have some experience with machine shops and plan to have these parts fabricated. Would any one mind sharing dimensions of the rocker plates and bushings if you currently have a fork disassembled?

Rocker plates: Thickness? Length? Width? distance between edges of holes?
Smaller bushing (T-bushing that slides unto axle:( Length/thickness of the cross? the shaft?
Larger bushing (slides unto the front part of the fork:( Length/thickness of the cross? the shaft?

Any help welcome!

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay. I had to take these parts off my bike to measure them and couldn't get to it earlier in the week.

Hopefully this is the springer you have. :D
1941Hawthorne035_zps76f88da5-1.jpg

And these are the parts you need?
ForkParts03_zps1fcd9a0a-1.jpg

I calculated the 2.052 dimension by adding half the diameter of each hole to 1.687 reference. But I included the reference dimensions since that is what you asked for.
ForkParts05a_zps5aa891f7-1.jpg

ForkParts08a_zps797ae45c-1.jpg

The shoulder length is .187 but the rocker plate is .125 and the brass washer is .062, which means that when you bolt everything up tight it is line to line. I noticed that I had some binding in mine, so I added some 1/32" thick shims that basically extend the length of the shoulder by about .030. That is probably a little too much but that was all I had. If I was going to make the shoulder bolt myself, I would probably make the shoulder .200 long instead of .187 just to make sure there would be a little bit of clearance when everything is tightened up.
ForkParts10a_zpsf5c10b27-1.jpg

I added the little shim to the left to create a little more clearance.
ForkParts09a_zps85943aaf-1.jpg

ForkParts06a_zps86f56a68-1.jpg

Hope this helps,
Rusty.

Thank you!

Thank you very very very very very much! Thanks for going through all the trouble. Much appreciated. I'm sure this will be a big help to others with the same missing parts as well. :)

looking for the same parts myself, question-how does it all go together?

My fork was a Hoppy-style Snyder springer. It has some minor differences with the Hawthorne shown above, but the general principle is the same, with the main difference being an open rather than closed dropout on the fork itself. I took a moment to draw the assembly out - if anyone sees a mistake, lemme know so I can fix it.

rollfast dropout assembly final copy.jpg

I made two sets, because I have another, earlier Hawthorne springer project behind this one that was ALSO lacking the bushings. (I suppose they get lost easily - not really a surprise, they have nothing to hang on once the wheels come off. ) I guess I ought to have mass-produced, but it was kinda pricey, and I figured I was taking a chance to see if the fabbed ones would work in the first place. So if you're asking if I have some for sale, I don't really. But I CAN tell you that the measurements WORK! So if there's a larger need for these pieces, more could be made and the price would fall accordingly, of course.

Back