When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dimensions of Rollfast/Hawthorne springer fork rocker plates and bushings?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-
Hi, I just aquired a bike with this fork but it is missing the truss rods. Are they specific to this for or can other truss rods fit it too?

A4351F2A-E135-4DA2-A88D-EC3196A082BB.jpeg

Truss rods are specific to the make and size a bike is. That bike doesn't have truss rods but is a spring fork. Roger

Last edited:
Heres some examples of this fork with the truss rods. Would like to put them back on if I can find them.

9A236F3F-534F-41D8-A21A-2D70B7937357.jpeg

10DF7C53-57AF-49A2-BD4E-6594E38B2522.jpeg

How does the springer part of the fork move if it has truss rods? Looks to me like they would prevent the suspension movement. Maybe a owner modification. You could make truss rods with a tap and some round stock and bending. You would still need measurements to do it. Roger

The truss rods are not attached to the movable springer fork; they are attached to the fixed fork end and the fixed pivot end of the rocker plates; they are also attached at the headset assembly top (also relatively fixed).

I believe that Snyder truss rods will fit, if of the right gender. Iirc, boys bikes may have had ~3.5" head tubes; girls ~5.0".

Last edited:
Anyone ever try to substitute the stepped bushing (not having any) with two bushings instead, either stacked or concentric, (or washers)?
Also, would a threaded collar piece work as well, or just make it more difficult to disassemble?

Anyone ever try to substitute the stepped bushing (not having any) with two bushings instead, either stacked or concentric, (or washers)?
Also, would a threaded collar piece work as well, or just make it more difficult to disassemble?
This bushing is important. It could be 2 pieces, but the dimensions need to be the same....
image.jpg

1.jpg

IMG_1402 (002).JPG

The large part sits in the opening and prevents movement of the axle forward or back, only up & down.

2.jpg

IMG_1400 (002).JPG

The smaller part of the bushing fit inside the springer rod.

3.jpg

IMG_1403 (002).JPG

The nut tightens down on the bushing and allows a space between the rod and the fork.

4.jpg

If this piece is on the outside, you can see how it might bind things up.
Hope this helps.
(Had to go outside and take mine apart to get pics. My axle area is not open like this one, so getting that axle in is quite the event. @Velocipedist Co. helped get mine in)

In 1938, when this springer fork was introduced, it did not come with truss rods. They were an option. Remember, there's an easy way to place your front wheel in, if you're by yourself...and you don't want to wreck your knuckles.... Set your bike next to a closed door, upside down. Tie one fork end to the door knob and pull the other fork end to you, spreading the fork as you place your wheel in. Usually the stock front axle on these models is longer, making it hard to get the wheel in. The spring in these forks are the same springs used in the later 1950s forks. Girl's springs are shorter than boy's. I used to have a couple of these rockers and bushings laying around, if I can find them I will bring to Memory Lane with me.

Back