eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

mpdoan2

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Jul 31, 2019
Moravia, NY
Has anyone put disc brake adapters on any of their pre-war bikes? I'm going to try something fun with my '41 Elgin, but I don't want to damage it (so I have the option to go back to original design). Thinking of either this aluminum one that just slides into the rear drop out (but not sure if rear dropout is beefy enough) or this alloy one that would sit on the axle and clamp to the seat stay (but not sure what the stress to this area of the seat stay when braking might do).
Thanks for any input!
Mike

1566418043027.png
1566418161548.png

bricycle

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Nov 18, 2009
Chicago area west
I think you'd be happier with the black one.

rbertjr

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Jul 16, 2016
Spring Branch, Texas
I have installed the aluminum one on a 1939 Schwinn DX frame. I had to widen the distance between the chain stays to accommodate the adapter as well as an 8-speed internal gear hub. In addition, I had to make a shim made from aircraft aluminum to line up the disc. Once all bolted together, the brake works really well!

thumb_DSCN0736_1024.jpg

Mr. Monkeyarms

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Oct 30, 2018
Colorado
Cool! I've seen people do this to a vintage ride but can't remember who or where. I'm sure the old American steel stays will be strong enough to handle the torque from a disc brake. ;)

Reactions: SKPC and mpdoan2

saladshooter

I live for the CABE
Nov 30, 2014
Littleton, CO
I think we need to see the whole bike!

I have installed the aluminum one on a 1939 Schwinn DX frame. I had to widen the distance between the chain stays to accommodate the adapter as well as an 8-speed internal gear hub. In addition, I had to make a shim made from aircraft aluminum to line up the disc. Once all bolted together, the brake works really well!

thumb_DSCN0736_1024.jpg

mpdoan2

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Jul 31, 2019
Moravia, NY
I have installed the aluminum one on a 1939 Schwinn DX frame. I had to widen the distance between the chain stays to accommodate the adapter as well as an 8-speed internal gear hub. In addition, I had to make a shim made from aircraft aluminum to line up the disc. Once all bolted together, the brake works really well.

That looks great! Thanks. :)

CURTIS L LINDGREN

Dec 19, 2017
Pacific Northwest , United States

thumb_DSCN0736_1024.jpg
I Second that ! Let's see the WHOLE BIKE ! Clean Set Up there !

Reactions: Mr. Monkeyarms

bricycle

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Nov 18, 2009
Chicago area west
are there kits out there, as I have no idea how to mix and match?

rbertjr

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Jul 16, 2016
Spring Branch, Texas
BicycleDesigner.com does have a kit which includes the aluminum bracket and the disk brake/rotor. Below is the whole bike. I took it to a modern Klunker extreme with front/rear discs, carbon fiber fork, Renthal stem/handlebars/kevlar grips, Schmidt headlight/dynamo hub, custom stem lock, motorcycle fork clamps for front brake cable and headlight wire, limited edition Sugino Maxy Cross cranks/sprocket, Bombshell rims, JAGWIRE cables, Shimano IGH with trigger shifters, and a Brooks B72 seat. The frame was silver brazed/smoothed and then triple chrome plated. I built the bike for my 11-year old son and he loves riding it! Below are some photos.

thumb_DSCN0752_1024.jpg

thumb_DSCN0731_1024.jpg

thumb_DSCN0733_1024.jpg

thumb_DSCN0740_1024.jpg

thumb_DSCN0737_1024.jpg

thumb_DSCN0746_1024.jpg

thumb_DSCN0742_1024.jpg

thumb_DSCN0754_1024.jpg

thumb_DSCN0751_1024.jpg

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Hammerhead

Oct 5, 2018
Franklin,NH
Could you please post a closer pic of the rear disc side from an angle? Thank you @rbertjr Sweet bike!
Hammerhead

Last edited:

Duchess

Feb 14, 2014
Beverly, MA
I used the black-style one on the rear of a '61 Columbia Firebolt—not prewar, but I don't think it matters much. Seemed like it was going to be flimsy until it was all bolted down tight and now it works like it's part of the frame. Getting the right bracket for the caliper and shimming for alignment was a little work, but not too bad. In my case, I was also converting to a 6 speed freewheel and derailleur I had around and I didn't want to dish the wheel, so that's where a little bit of the trickiness came into play. The most difficult part was actually the disc. I used a flip flop hub and a thread-on disc adaptor for the non-drive side. I ended up doubling the adaptors to get enough standoff distance from the hub, which required drilling the threads out of the outer one and grinding down the outer flange so the two could bolt flush and true.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!