When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc brakes adaption?

-
Could you please post a closer pic of the rear disc side from an angle? Thank you @rbertjr Sweet bike!
Hammerhead

Last edited:
I used the black-style one on the rear of a '61 Columbia Firebolt—not prewar, but I don't think it matters much. Seemed like it was going to be flimsy until it was all bolted down tight and now it works like it's part of the frame. Getting the right bracket for the caliper and shimming for alignment was a little work, but not too bad. In my case, I was also converting to a 6 speed freewheel and derailleur I had around and I didn't want to dish the wheel, so that's where a little bit of the trickiness came into play. The most difficult part was actually the disc. I used a flip flop hub and a thread-on disc adaptor for the non-drive side. I ended up doubling the adaptors to get enough standoff distance from the hub, which required drilling the threads out of the outer one and grinding down the outer flange so the two could bolt flush and true.

Hi Hammerhead:
Sorry for not posting sooner. Please see photos below. If you need more, just let me know.

IMG_6793.JPG

IMG_6792.JPG

Back