When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc brakes adaption?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mpdoan2

Look Ma, No Hands!
Has anyone put disc brake adapters on any of their pre-war bikes? I'm going to try something fun with my '41 Elgin, but I don't want to damage it (so I have the option to go back to original design). Thinking of either this aluminum one that just slides into the rear drop out (but not sure if rear dropout is beefy enough) or this alloy one that would sit on the axle and clamp to the seat stay (but not sure what the stress to this area of the seat stay when braking might do).
Thanks for any input!
Mike

1566418043027.png
1566418161548.png

I have installed the aluminum one on a 1939 Schwinn DX frame. I had to widen the distance between the chain stays to accommodate the adapter as well as an 8-speed internal gear hub. In addition, I had to make a shim made from aircraft aluminum to line up the disc. Once all bolted together, the brake works really well!

thumb_DSCN0736_1024.jpg

Cool! I've seen people do this to a vintage ride but can't remember who or where. I'm sure the old American steel stays will be strong enough to handle the torque from a disc brake. ;)

I think we need to see the whole bike!

I have installed the aluminum one on a 1939 Schwinn DX frame. I had to widen the distance between the chain stays to accommodate the adapter as well as an 8-speed internal gear hub. In addition, I had to make a shim made from aircraft aluminum to line up the disc. Once all bolted together, the brake works really well!

View attachment 1050879

I have installed the aluminum one on a 1939 Schwinn DX frame. I had to widen the distance between the chain stays to accommodate the adapter as well as an 8-speed internal gear hub. In addition, I had to make a shim made from aircraft aluminum to line up the disc. Once all bolted together, the brake works really well.

That looks great! Thanks. :)

View attachment 1050879
I Second that ! Let's see the WHOLE BIKE ! Clean Set Up there !

BicycleDesigner.com does have a kit which includes the aluminum bracket and the disk brake/rotor. Below is the whole bike. I took it to a modern Klunker extreme with front/rear discs, carbon fiber fork, Renthal stem/handlebars/kevlar grips, Schmidt headlight/dynamo hub, custom stem lock, motorcycle fork clamps for front brake cable and headlight wire, limited edition Sugino Maxy Cross cranks/sprocket, Bombshell rims, JAGWIRE cables, Shimano IGH with trigger shifters, and a Brooks B72 seat. The frame was silver brazed/smoothed and then triple chrome plated. I built the bike for my 11-year old son and he loves riding it! Below are some photos.

thumb_DSCN0752_1024.jpg

thumb_DSCN0731_1024.jpg

thumb_DSCN0733_1024.jpg

thumb_DSCN0740_1024.jpg

thumb_DSCN0737_1024.jpg

thumb_DSCN0746_1024.jpg

thumb_DSCN0742_1024.jpg

thumb_DSCN0754_1024.jpg

thumb_DSCN0751_1024.jpg

Back