When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do any of you men ride a woman's bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I don't but I would ...
"Canal Bikes"
A few of the fishermen on the Cape Cod Canal use "womens" bikes as a platform. Makes sense, I know I can't swing my leg over all of that gear and dodge the fishing rods.

This is my problem too. I run front and rear baskets on most of the bikes that I ride. I do most of my grocery shopping on my bikes. When that rear basket is full, the only way to get my leg over is to go over the top bar. It's always been a struggle when it's loaded down, it just seems like more of a struggle now. Girls frames are starting to look pretty good :).

Perhaps it's just the words -woman's or girl's bike .
The term "low entry" is being used by a number of bike companies to describe these, and the frame style is used on a lot of newer hybrid and ebikes, many of which are ridden by guys. I find it a little less off-putting than "unisex".
Nothing wrong with riding what is comfortable for you, who cares what other's think anyway.

So I seen a really cool old JC Higgins. But it's a woman's bike. Is it taboo to be seen all over town an a woman's bike,,,lol.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe for a periodic test ride; or for delivery (short range) of the bike itself.
Most of my girls bike projects are of the classic tank-top variety; except for the industrial newsgirl, (but can a Worksman even be a girls bike?).

The better bicycle companies, that are driven by the needs of their customers (rather than a race-inspired marketing agenda) are already increasing production of step-thru frames, noting increasing sales to both men and women. When I bought my Rivendell Clem Smith Jr, I got it on clearance, because (per per phone call with their GM) "nobody was buying the H (high top tube) version. Their newer fillet brazed Hillibike line have all been low top tube from the beginning. Grant Petersen has published the breakdown of Riv Mixte sales by men versus women. I forget the number, but it's something like 70/30 (men being the smaller number). Velo Orange just introduced a step through version of their Polyvalent frame which is on pre-order. So this isn't just a quirk of Rivendell. The truth is, gender specific frames are a relic from when dresses were the only acceptable garb for women. If you want the best combination of low weight versus strength, sure a high top tube makes sense regardless of frame material. But if you like to carry stuff, or just be comfortable, low top tube makes so much sense. For every day use, I'm liking the idea of a step through, and kind of wish I went for the Clem "L" (to be fair, it was out of stock when I bought the "H").

And if anyone is worried about perception, I say this: If someone is insecure enough about his masculinity to have feelings about what another man rides, well that's his problem. Should anyone care what someone like that thinks anyway? Then again, when I rode motorbikes, I had a Sportster for 16 years. It's what I had cash for at the time, and satisfied my requirements. Some of those Harley types aren't shy about giving a stranger a ribbing about his "girls bike". So I've already had time to work that out.

Perhaps someone can figure out how to hinge one of TRM's "Convertible tanks" so after you've stepped through you can position the tank so you'll fool most of the people you're worried about thinking less of you because you chose to ride a "woman's," "girls," step through," "low entry," "unisex" bike.

1595090443208.png

Back