When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

do you collect original paint bikes because......

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SJ_BIKER

Riding a 41 Super Deluxe
Is the truth that you are you wanting original paint bikes because its too expensive to do a restoration? Or are you not comfortable in your restoration skills just yet? Or are you wanting more bang for your buck if you have to resell a bike if is og paint? If done right a pristine resto project can bring in more in some cases.....or you just wanting a rusty beater? I have a friend who loves the brown hue on his metal parts and digs the rustic look overall.....whats your true reason for wanting the og character paint/metal finish??

Last edited:
I have never heard of a perfect resto anything EVER worth more than a very nice original.
Anyone can restore if they got the jinga. It's only in great original condition by the grace of God once.

This has been rehashed at least once. If it's got at lest 50% OG finish, let it stay that way or move on to something that doesn't....
JMHO

I think there's a huge range that people classify as original paint. I have an Original paint 1915 Iver Johnson that has maybe 10% of the paint left. Not a desirable trait for resale if you ask me, although not having to renickel everything is a bit of a cost savings.

I am planning to restore this bike completely in the near future, and because of the lack of actual paint, don't feel that it will devalue the bike (don't plan on selling anyway).

If you look at original paint bikes that have most of the paint, keeping them original is probably a better idea if resale is a consideration. Restoration is costly and you're not guaranteed a return on your investment if you find interest in the restored bike lacking. Of course you might turn a profit if you picked up a crustacean for free and had the skills to do most of the work yourself. I would love to have a plating setup!

"Patina" bikes are a complete cop-out! I have one though and I LOVE IT! Just gotta keep my tetanus shots current! :)

I've restored a few bikes, and could not even come close to getting what I had in them. So, as a word to the wise... DO NOT RESTORE unless you are gonna KEEP it, or are restoring for someone else, and they have already paid you up-front! I rather like rusty stuff, truth be told... :)

It the truth that you are you wanting original paint bikes because its too expensive to do a restoration?...

The truth is pretty much the opposite of what you have stated here. :eek: Some of us, in some instances, "settle" for a restore/repaint/project because a nice original is not available or, when available, is much more expensive.

Because they are only original once. Plus if I scratch the paint on an original bike, it's just a scratch. If I scratch a restored bike.... It's a lot of $$$$$ ruined.

If I scratched a nice OG, I think I would be at least as pissed if not more than if it was restored, $ or not....

Back