When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

do you collect original paint bikes because......

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
To Restore or Not.....

Well said Mr. D. Personally, I'm not a fan of corrosion and oxidation. All of the vintage bikes I choose to collect have at least 75% of the original paint and chrome. When considering a potential candidate to add to the collection, I can visualize the finished "result" after a little elbow grease and some love. It's gratifying to me to clean, de-rust, polish, service and ride my refurbished bikes. My philosophy..... If you can bring that great old bike back to some semblance of its former glory.....why not? :)

yep,

it's a bit of almost all of the stuff in the original question. but it's also more.
I really love the soul, and sense of history in an original bike. it has the scratches it has earned over the past 75 years, the dents installed by it's original 12 year old owner, sometimes their initials carved into it marking it as their proud possession.
I was discussing with another member what I thought was going to be the next trend in old bike collecting. I think it's going to be the "as found" bike. a bike with all of the ornaments, dents, decals, stickers and house paint it has picked up along the way still in tact. the more I think of it I really like the idea.

Funny, my 66 Racer had a small key lock and cable wrapped around the seat post when I picked it up from the Habitat for Humanity store. It's still there. Coolness.

What I've read into quite a few of the responses is that we ALL would care deeply for a bike if the original condition was fair or better. If the paint is still in good condition, we would love to leave it be and display or ride it till the wind knocks the patina right off of it. Is THIS a goal...to ride it till it dies? Or do we want people to ask THE questions when they see it.....? Original paint? Repainted?

What I see many folks doing is making their bikes rideable, despite the condition of the paint. The rust (to me) isn't a story line, it's abuse and neglect. I mean...would you be proud to tell someone admiring your bike that "Yes, all that rust IS original...I'm just to lazy to deal with it." If "I" see a bike with original paint that stood the test of time, and it was on a bike that was taken care of, I would be impressed...very much so. Rust...for the sake of being original, is NOT impressive.

Original parts or not, each bike has a continuing story. As long as you've put your book marker in that story line, and tell the truth about what's been done, it only adds to the bike's history. You were once owner of that relic from days gone by. Did you help preserve the bike as best you could, or did you do nothing to stop the years of abuse and neglect? Just let it rot away in the name of originality...

We have the means...we may not have the original parts, but we have a way to keep the outer layer looking as if it were original (to an extent). Why not show off your skills as a craftsman, much as the original manufacturers were. Let the years of grime, rust and gunk from neglect fill the pores of your fingers, and make that bike gleam like years gone by.

THAT is something that would draw my attention.

Mr D.

I hope this will draw your attention:
wa3giv-1.jpg

I received these boxes today about the same time you were posting your reply.

The attention to packing is excellent...I'm still unwrapping ...:p

2hnz3uf-1.jpg

fv8r52-1.jpg

original paint...hasn't been repainted .
30hpw5z-1.jpg

handlebars ...
vmyps0-1.jpg
2isz4mu-1.jpg

nuwlh-1.jpg
6ifes8-1.jpg

I still have another box to unpack with the fenders & wheels.
Although the pedals show wear...overall the bike is very well preserved, somebody must've
really have taken good care with it. I hope to do the same.
fdeqdy-1.jpg

Iver Johnson Truss frame. Year unknown so far.

I'll try & post more as I finish unpacking...& locate a serial number.

What I've read into quite a few of the responses is that we ALL would care deeply for a bike if the original condition was fair or better. If the paint is still in good condition, we would love to leave it be and display or ride it till the wind knocks the patina right off of it. Is THIS a goal...to ride it till it dies? Or do we want people to ask THE questions when they see it.....? Original paint? Repainted?

What I see many folks doing is making their bikes rideable, despite the condition of the paint. The rust (to me) isn't a story line, it's abuse and neglect. I mean...would you be proud to tell someone admiring your bike that "Yes, all that rust IS original...I'm just to lazy to deal with it." If "I" see a bike with original paint that stood the test of time, and it was on a bike that was taken care of, I would be impressed...very much so. Rust...for the sake of being original, is NOT impressive.

Original parts or not, each bike has a continuing story. As long as you've put your book marker in that story line, and tell the truth about what's been done, it only adds to the bike's history. You were once owner of that relic from days gone by. Did you help preserve the bike as best you could, or did you do nothing to stop the years of abuse and neglect? Just let it rot away in the name of originality...

We have the means...we may not have the original parts, but we have a way to keep the outer layer looking as if it were original (to an extent). Why not show off your skills as a craftsman, much as the original manufacturers were. Let the years of grime, rust and gunk from neglect fill the pores of your fingers, and make that bike gleam like years gone by.

THAT is something that would draw my attention.

Mr D.
well said Mr. D.....

Back