When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

do you collect original paint bikes because......

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
To me it doesn't matter as long as it looks good and doesn't cost a fortune I am sold.

Exactly.... Its yours to add more SOUL or crap to just as the kid before you did... . You restore it with quality paint just as some kid house painted it. He changrd it so why not us? Yer adding to its history.. Just cause you have it now doesn't end its soul gathering.. Make sense?..

Maintain Integrity with only Genuine Parts

Opinions, everyone has them just like...I feel I was meant to preserve and/or resurrect history while maintaining it's integrity, history, life story, bumps and bruises and therefore it's patina, without altering it (if at all possible, original paint and chrome), maybe a sympathetic mechanical re-cycle to keep it running safe, sound, and smooth...as much original as possible is the only way.

My signature says it all.

GenuineRides

The title of this website says it best. The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange.
These things are CLASSIC and ANTIQUE! At least they're supposed to be.
The New and Improved Bicycle Exchange, is for when all the classics have gone the way of the Dodo bird.

so are you saying it correctly restored bike is new and improved?

I think many of folks who appreciate restored bicycles are also into the car collecting hobby where it is a more acceptable part of that culture.
Just an observation.

There are a number of great professional bicycle restorers that are an asset to our hobby having a special attention to detail and the knowledge from having to get it right/correct.

Personally, original bicycles just do it for me and the satisfaction I get from working on them, is why I'm here.
If the work is done for me, I'm not interested, if to buy and keep as found, I'm not interested...there is more to it than just having.

Chris

I think many of folks who appreciate restored bicycles are also into the car collecting hobby where it is a more acceptable part of that culture.
Just an observation.

There are a number of great professional bicycle restorers that are an asset to our hobby having a special attention to detail and the knowledge from having to get it right/correct.

Personally, original bicycles just do it for me and the satisfaction I get from working on them, is why I'm here.
If the work is done for me, I'm not interested, if to buy and keep as found, I'm not interested...there is more to it than just having.

Chris

I agree... With brown bike all I had done was paint. I had to find and still am finding parts! I like finding the right period correct stuff for it. Maybe my restored bike doesn't count since it wasn't completely assembled and cherry done waiting for me. I had to do that!

location location=condition condition

In all my years of working on schwinn bikes.....ive never had one 100% complete....bikes have always had something missing....a tank, a rack, a mix matched wheel set, mixed matched painted parts....or paint that had baddd touch ups....when finding replacement parts it was a daunting task as my current endevour is proving(dang marroon tank).....patience is a virtue....inthe past i pieced together bikes and settled for mixed matched projects and took on a few partial restos or near complete restos which didnt compare to the pros but it was good enough for me....its really a matter of what condition suites your fancy.....i brought back a phantom from the dead a few years ago not for making money initially.....i simply wanted to save it....having only the frame( i saved parts over the years and when i had what i needed...the resto began)....and i look back and think what wouldve happend if had not spruced it up and left that 51 for dead.....some bikes have to be redone....while others need to be preserved so we can study them or the future owner can study them.....if i had to pick.....id rather buy a condition 7-8 bicycle completely stock....however im a realist and have to accept that few exist to purchase at this time....any other day a pristine correct restoration is just as good as any original i think....when originals seem nowhere to be found....someone will enjoy it....

Attachments

• IMG_20131122_113059_846.jpg
    IMG_20131122_113059_846.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 76
Is the truth that you are you wanting original paint bikes because its too expensive to do a restoration? Or are you not comfortable in your restoration skills just yet? Or are you wanting more bang for your buck if you have to resell a bike if is og paint? If done right a pristine resto project can bring in more in some cases.....or you just wanting a rusty beater? I have a friend who loves the brown hue on his metal parts and digs the rustic look overall.....whats your true reason for wanting the og character paint/metal finish??

I have 1 restored bike (my only post war bike) and the rest are original paint pre war bikes and all are ready to ride...not necessarily the rarest or the top of the line, just complete original paint because that is what I like...if I had big money and collected cars instead of bikes, my cars would be the same, original paint. It has nothing to do with ability or "skills" or economic level, I could afford to do what I like and I just like the patina and textures on the originals. I ride my bikes and don't sell them off very often so I am only going to buy what I like since it is probably going to be around a while...

A lot of very good & valid points have been brought up. There is theory and reality to deal with. I personally would love to find an original classic that I could just re-grease the bearings, spray some WD-40, maybe a little compound , wax & call it a day. But that's not what I'm usually dealing with, I am having fun with it though.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 65
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 74
  • P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 69
Tides in this

hobby rise and fall as in autos- I was in the 80s auto restoration rape - RESTORED FROM GOOD ORIGINAL- why mess with junk?

Many of todays new collectors have not see true #8-9.9 bikes and few 5-7 bikes they are (imho) calling them 8-9s because people in the past used to find complete originals to restore cause you did not have to look for paint pattern or parts and a number 7 going to an 11 bling shinly plated oohhhh!! mama

You guys keep calling condition numbers.. where is this chart of conditions for us newbies?

Lot of good points from both sides....I don't think this argument is ever going to be settled.:cool:

Back