When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you ride ND Model A Hubs?

-

KevinsBikes

Wore out three sets of tires already!
How many people are riding ND Model A hubs? I rebuild old hubs into 28" Clinchers - most people want ridable hubs, but also period correct. So far, Morrow and ND Model C has been the most popular. I have been tempted to go back further in time, however the cost of the hubs generally keeps me away from them, as the cost of the wheels is already to a point not many people deal with it. Wondering if the pursuit of further period correctness is futile if ND Model A was just poorly designed and won't ride well. I have heard many people say they are tough to work with, hard to find parts for, etc; however, in some ways that makes me more interested, because understanding the design and technology is more than half of why I like old bikes in the first place.

I have been riding a 1918 bicycle with a Model A hub, and have found it to roll beautifully.
The braking experience has been poor.
It’s more of a decelerator than a brake.
It’s manageable to ride, but you just have to keep in mind that stopping is something that needs to be planned in advance.

Similar experience to others. Nothing wrong with ND model A hubs when it comes to driving and coasting but plan ahead with regard to stopping.

The friction surface area in a ND model A hub is less than later hubs. That's why ND model A hubs don't work as well as Morrow and ND model C. If used extensively the ND model A hub friction area will wear which is why restorative brake surface sleeves were developed to repair ND model A hub friction area:
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/new-departure-model-a-rollfast-hub-repair-sleeve.125188/

Last edited:
Back