When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you ride on the right side of the road?

-
Always with traffic! And if I do ride in the road, I pick roads with a white line and paved shoulder so that there is at least some margin of space and less exposure to the main traffic lane. And always single file unless there is no traffic. The problem with riding against traffic is that anyone pulling out of a side street is looking to their left for oncoming cars and if you're on your skinny little bike coming from their right they may not see you. I've seen many close calls in town that way.
Be visible, ride predictably, ride defensively, and be courteous. That share the road thing goes both ways.
That said I prefer quiet side streets and bike trails to minimize exposure.

Clearly not from California! We have those marked bike lanes here too but cars park there and the part of the road that is crumbling or full of garbage-broken glass-hypodermic needles or dog pinch loaf is reserved for the bicyclists. Unless you are on a bike only path in this state-hang it up. The crazies are too busy playing with their phones to notice you!

Lol....we have bike lanes in town. But....motorists are allowed to pass someone on their right using those lanes if: nobody is in the bike lane and/or the car ahead is stalled or stopped making a turn. Well, without supervision of this by the cop shop, you can just imagine how this is gone sour. I never see anybody look backwards to see if a bicyclist might be using the lane. I can't ride in town....just gotten too dangerous for old reflexes. I have enough troubles out on the two-laners....no need to exacerbate the situation.

Kevin

My adopted home town of Council Bluffs Iowa where I do my usual weekly 20 - 25 mile Friday ride. Light local traffic and if you're careful going through intersections. a pretty safe ride. Ride on the right with traffic, nice bike trails also. It is very flat and easy for heavy bikes. I wander all over town like a kid and have a great time. Lots of dogs know me and like to say hello as I go by; I think they are rather disapointed they can't go too. My average speed is about 11mph. A real ride back in time.

With traffic when I have to. The Three Notch Trail parallels the main road.. so My only hazard is crossing the 4 lane.I always wear a fluorescent orange or yellow shirt.

What scares me are the Old Order Mennonites, that ride on back roads with no shoulders. In cooler weather they wear dark colored cloats or coats, over fairly visible shirts or dresses.
goodville-pa-mennonite-woman-riding-bicycle-pennsylvania-her-approaches-conestoga-river-covere...jpg

For the majority of drivers who are from here, you are on the lookout for them But like anywhere else, you have drivers that play with their phones, under the influence of heroine and or booze or just can't drive that throw a turd in the punch bowl.

Last edited:
Back