Do you ride your bikes or display them only? Sore knees and numb Bum.

Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Nashman

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Personally, I do both. I just posted a long winded comment on bike comfort and adjustment in the thread on that beautiful Schwinn Aerocycle for sale. To further my comments on comfort, a bicycle seat cam make or break the enjoyment of riding that prized possession. Some stock seats will NEVER be comfortable. Of course if you only ride "seasonally" ( live in a snow belt like I do) almost any seat will feel uncomfortable after sitting in a lazy Boy ( for those who choose to) all Winter!! Ha!! It takes getting used to. My '58 Jaguar has a pretty lame seat, but after many rides, it feels ok.

I quote..... "SPOKER". from the Aerocycle thread....."bikes were sized for kids not for adults,so its a ten thou bike that only a kid looks right on,good for long flat rides,bikes of this level should be for display,if restored correctly"

I agree. Bikes generally/mostly were made and designed for kids back in the day. I sold NEW modern bikes for over a year at a high end bicycle shop in town about 6 years ago. All kinds of bikes, and prices. Cruisers, racers, mountain bikes, hybrids, BMX etc. I found it interesting how Electra's ( Cruisers) have the bottom bracket in a more forward position on the frame to accommodate a better/healthier/efficient pedal stroke/leg extension with a lower seat position/center of gravity.

Of course now there are different frame sizes, and designs, and many types can be adjusted to suit riding style, position and body type and comfort level. A good rule of thumb is the leg extension through the pedal stroke. Your leg should be not totally "straight/hyper extended" at the bottom of your pedal stroke. You should have a slight bend to your knee to get the full use of your leg muscle and not cramp your knee joint. I don't know about you guys/gals, but if I ride hard and long with my knees cramped ( NOT as I just mentioned/ the recommended almost fully extended with only a slight bend) it hurts after awhile and is certainly not doing my knees any good. They ache like a Banshee after!!! OK, I'm an old guy ( 61) and punished my feet and knees running for years, ( now a swimmer/not a good one/ but I do it..ha!) so try to ride my bikes with the proper stance and leg extension if going for a long ride. Now that said:

I'm only about 5' 9" but to achieve the best and most comfortable riding position ( leg extension/straight back/upright stance) on any of my bicycles, I need to raise the seat post and sometimes the handlebar stem. Frankly, the lines and style of the bicycle suffers with those adjustments. Like many collectors on the CABE, I like to ride my bikes, but at the same time, want to represent the bicycle in the tasteful artistic way it was designed for. If I'm going for a long ride, I make the necessary adjustments for comfort. If a bike is for display only, it's generally "in the weeds" on adjustment. I think a classic bike with the seat tube in the clouds looks goofy. Just my opinion. There are some "stock" ( as mentioned by another Caber) seat posts and stems that can achieve a more comfortable ride and still maintain the stylish look of the bicycle.

I suppose ideally a person could "test ride" a prospective purchase of a classic bike. That's often not possible. Maybe that's a key question ( I've never asked) to field while considering a purchase. Ask the seller, ask other owners of the same bike. Read the CABE. If you intend to ride a bicycle lots and enjoy it, make sure it fits your needs in all areas.

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0236.JPG

DSC_0312.JPG

Nashman

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I know everyone is tired of seeing this pic/s, ( taken last Summer with Bart, and eons ago with my Daughter, me as a youngster) but when I ride ( don't have or use a cell phone/camera) noone takes my picture, except my pal Bart when he was in town. Kinda says it all tho. Smiles and sunshine and friends and family.

BartBoy.JPG

dad &shay cruise.JPG

Bobby Nash.JPG

Nash Bart.JPG

young man with a beer.JPG

Nashman.JPG

cyclingday

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Ride 'em don't hide 'em.
If it's in the attic, you can't get at it.

Seriously,
People are so afraid to deviate away from the catalog illustration of their bike, that they needlessly suffer on a bike that doesn't fit right.
That's what period correct aftermarket parts and the wrench are for.
Make it work for you, and have fun with it!

Last edited:

Nashman

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Ride 'em don't hide 'em.
If it's in the attic, you can't get at it.

Seriously,
People are so afraid to deviate away from the catalog illustration of their bike, that they needlessly suffer on a bike that doesn't fit right.
That's what period correct aftermarket parts and the wrench are for.
Make it work for you, and have fun with it!
Very well said. Thanks......I respect peoples rights to just collect to display/ or ride as well, enjoy both,& be purist or custom, but the important thing is to share your passion and have fun. Lets thank Scott and the Cabe for helping that accomplishment. Cheers...Bob

fordmike65

Riding a '37 Colson Imperial
We ride all our bikes eventually, so I only purchase bikes that are more adult sized. I can't stand the look of a saddle jacked up to Jesus for added legroom. I've passed on several amazing & low priced bikes because it wouldn't be a good fit. If not, I'd have tons more bikes & be living on the streets. I supposed it's both a curse and a blessing being 6'4"...:smirk: