When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you think this is "collectible" yet?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bikewhorder

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I have this 2002 Rocky Mountain RM7 time capsule bike that I can't decide what to do with. I could see early DH Mt bikes being as hot as old school BMX is now in about another 10 years or so, and this is a really great example. Absolute top of the line from the golden age of DH racing. It's even signed by the person who welded the frame. I kinda want to sell it but I know i might regret it someday.

Attachments

• summer 09 RM7 007.jpg
    summer 09 RM7 007.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 215
  • summer 09 RM7 032.jpg
    summer 09 RM7 032.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 667
  • summer 09 RM7 038.jpg
    summer 09 RM7 038.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 247
  • summer 09 RM7 043.jpg
    summer 09 RM7 043.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 220
I have this 2002 Rocky Mountain RM7 time capsule bike that I can't decide what to do with. I could see early DH Mt bikes being as hot as old school BMX is now in about another 10 years or so, and this is a really great example. Absolute top of the line from the golden age of DH racing. It's even signed by the person who welded the frame. I kinda want to sell it but I know i might regret it someday.

I don't know much about these bikes at all, but I do know about stuff I've regretted getting rid of. If you're not in any great hurry to get rid of it (i.e. BROKE) and if you have the space to hang it up high and out of the way, I'd keep it, it's probably going to be worth more money down the road, and it's a pretty cool looking bike. IMHO.

I wouldn't think it's quite collectible yet, but in 20 years all the rest of that model bike will be thrashed to oblivion and if any pro rode that model they could be looking for one to relive their youth much like people buy BMx etc. today.

dorks bike

I think that there are going to be a few eras of cycling that are going to be looked over! bmx and mtb
Im not saying all of it but some of the bike inbetween start and present( whenever that is).

Make no mistake people. This bike already rivals the price of an of paint prewar cruiser and truly is a super nice bike. If kept in good condition, 10 years down the road it will be worth more than it is today, as most things are. What would worry me is the deterioration of rubber parts in the suspension.

Make no mistake people. This bike already rivals the price of an of paint prewar cruiser and truly is a super nice bike. If kept in good condition, 10 years down the road it will be worth more than it is today, as most things are. What would worry me is the deterioration of rubber parts in the suspension.

I believe collecting Mtn. bikes for profit/increased value is difficult. A good company match, pre tax deposit in a 401K might be wiser......But damn that would be boring.......

I collect older high end Mtb's from the 80's and 90's. Most of the bikes in my stable sold between $1000 and $2500 at the time they were new. These bikes are not selling even close to their original MSRP.

For example A recent CL pickup of mine was a early 90's Mountain Goat WTR. Pristine $250. Here is it's Bikepedia page where it sold new for about $2500:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...odel=Whiskeytown Racer&Type=bike#.UD-ZJI6hDzI

About 20 years old and not gaining any value (yet!)....

I do see early high end (and only high end) vintage bikes gaining a little value over the past few years on Ebay. Unlike most of the people here on the CABE, the bikes of my passion have not gained much value. I am blessed with the ability to go out and buy the bikes I dreamed about when younger for a song. Passionate about these old rides, I like the fact that they are quite attainable. Heck, I still want one of each. I have no illusions about getting rich picking these bikes up, but they sure put a smile on my face when I admire the craftmanship up close or take them for a ride.

Next topic: MTB's with suspension . I would have concerns about collecting a few of these bikes with unique suspension systems. If you ride it and it breaks 20 years after the fact, good luck finding replacement parts. The window of change was year to year and things don't match up. After just replacing some suspension parts on my 10 year old Kona Stinky Primo and having issues finding the right parts that fit, good luck in another 20 years. I guess thats why it is called collecting. Possibly a good idea to scrounge up all these spare suspension parts now hide them in the garage and watch them gain value. Have our kids Ebay it all after we pass away. :p

Back