When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone drill their CWC forks

-

Archie Sturmer

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Does anyone drill their CWC forks, so that they no longer cup water? I just removed my shiney new Wald stem (with holes and seams) to install a headlight mounting bracket, and there was about an inch of rusty water cupped in the steerer tube. Something that a 1/4" diameter drain hole might fix? Eyeballing the insides of the CWC steerer tube, it looks like maybe 1" to 1.5" of steel plugging the tube.

Last edited:
Smart idea but I am sure the purists would frown upon drilling holes in anything precious cwc! I agree it is a nasty surprise to find. Probably a good idea to always invert new buys for a couple days and also after rain rides to allow drainage.

Another thought I had... What about an o ring under the head nut...insert stem through headnut...roll o ring up stem...insert stem to desired height and tighten wedge...roll o ring down to top of tube...thread down and tighten top nut!

Last edited:
Back