When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone have info on Bauer?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

carrotsnax

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hey Guys,

I am realllllly outside of my realm of knowledge with this Bauer bicycle I inhereted.

It belonged to a very good friend that was stationed in Germany in the late 70’s. He found on a curb on trash day as a frame and added the wheels and I guess maybe the bars too.

Has beautiful lugs, and a neat spoke/wheels lock, on the rear triangle. Also there are two nipples on the left side of the seat post for a bicycle pump.

The bike has been fitted with alloy wheels with a built in generator front hub and an Early twin stick internally geared 5 speed sturmey archer hub.

I apologize this is the only photo I currently have of the bike right now. It was a bit of an emotional day pulling the bike from its resting place. Any information or possible build date would be appreciated.

E9600D97-4BDB-48E3-939D-9F6D51BD9D0C.jpeg

Don't know the make but tell us about the gearing? Downtube shifter on right for 3 speed internal (Sachs?) and shifter on left for derailuer shifting? How many total speeds?

The hub is a sturmey archer internally geared 5 speed. There is one cable on each side of the hub, and from my understanding this hub is just like a 3 speed unit, but has 2 more sets of planetary gears inside to make it a 5 speed. Or maybe it’s a 2x3 set up so maybe it’s a 6 speed? I’m not totally sure. The bike has sat for a while and the hub needs to be serviced. So the bike is pre 68, that’s cool. Also this bike doesn’t have the 50th year badge on it, it is an earlier badge. I’ll get some detailed pics this weekend. Thanks for the help!

There should be a date on the hub shell. The first digit(s) are the year, the second digit(s) are the month.

That's interesting! I didn't know anybody used the Sturmey-Archer 5 speed hub except Raleigh. But considering how many companies used the 3 speed, there had to be more.

Where would the date be in the hub?

My friend added the wheels, so I am unsure of what the original drivetrain may have been. I am unsure of what all is original or not on this bike.

My friend found it on trash day on a curb in front of a house in Germany in the late 70’s. Asked the homeowner if he could have the bike and the guy looked at him crazy and said yes. To my understanding the bike had no wheels, and may have been missing other parts that he later added. My friend then opening and operated a bicycle shop for 25 years once he came back to the states.

Back