When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone here know how to tell a real Major Taylor stem from a non MT?

-
Has anyone ever seen a photograph of Major Taylor with an extension stem other than the popular circular tube stem?
View attachment 899145

Taylor's autobiography (which reads like a personal journal) it’s a good account of the milestones in his life. Unless I missed something when reading it, there's no reference or mentioning of producing or endorsing a "stem". However, he openly admits to adopting and pioneering an existing one.
View attachment 899146

The circular tube extension stem seen in many of the photographs of Major Taylor was designed and made by Bradshaw Jack, an English bike maker in 1900. It’s possible Taylor was introduced to the stem while racing in Europe?
View attachment 899148

The no-slip Accles & Pollock (squared tube) stem, often called the Major Taylor stem is also British made. The company founded in 1896, originally produced steel tubing for bicycle frames. It’s possible the Englishman Bradshaw Jack sold his design and patent to A&P for production and later incorporated the no-slip diamond tubing as a "new" feature and ostensibly credited Major Taylor? (this is pure speculation on my part).
View attachment 899155
This is the stamped Ankh on the bottom of my stem, I was told it's an A&P stamping, but I've never found the registered symbol.
View attachment 899174

The chances of Taylor being involved with creating, restyling, or modifying the stem is highly unlikely…why? Because of his manager Louis “Birdie” Munger, the man who plucked him out of a tempestuous world of racism and made him a champion!

View attachment 899176
Munger (an ex-cycling champion) helicoptered over Taylor's career; he was so intertwined that Taylor wouldn't make a move without Munger's advice or counsel. This is germane, because if Taylor had pursued a novel bicycle "stem" rest assured Munger would have contracts drawn for Taylor to be handsomely compensated for his involvement! (Taylor did his share of product endorsements).The two were a formidable team and they benefited lucratively over the years. Plus, Munger would have promoted the hell out of Taylor’s endorsement in the newspapers and trade pubs!
View attachment 899178

Louis “Birdie” Munger wasn’t just a trainer, coach and manager, he was a self-made businessman. When he wasn’t training Taylor, he was occupied with the operations and the production of some reputable wheels manufactured by his companies.
View attachment 899325

Additionally, Birdie was an inventor with several US patents under his belt! He knew how to navigate the US patent operations; securing, protecting and selling ideas...after all Munger’s father worked for the US patent office and exposed Birdie to the world of inventions!

If you thought applying for a US patent was a cake walk…this read will give you a new perspective (Cycle Age 1900)
View attachment 899224

Subsequently, Birdies patents paid off and made him a wealthy man!!!View attachment 899227

Here’s the rub, Munger was also Taylor’s financial advisor – looking after the champion’s “interest”. Munger died a rich man. Its hard to imagine that Birdie wouldn't installed some safe guards for Taylor's money? A modest royalty check may have kept Taylor afloat during some rough patches...instead, three years after Birdie's death, Major Taylor died destitute and penniless!

Until there’s documented evidence that shows Taylor's involvement with an extension stem…the only conclusion that can be drawn is that while he was alive, he did not endorse or produce a stem. Everything that has been made was done so without his involvement! However the gesture of publicly connecting his name to the extension stem – and crediting him for something he pioneered and introduced to racing...is a well deserved posthumous honor!

View attachment 899230

good dissertation .... good thought process
man I would love to be able to find that Massey Silver Ribbon bicycle !!!
MT on a Massey.png

About 14 years ago in hindsight I could of bought this 1904 CCM Massey Harris Model 17 Track racer in NView attachment 900005

View attachment 900008

ew Zealand when I was there. I think the bike is in Australia now.
O well. Has Hussey Bar stem. In my catalog it says 28in Westwood steel or Laminated wood racing rims

very nice bicycle David, thanks for sharing
the good old days of having actual pictures of bikes :)
now we have to take pictures of pictures to share, crazy how times change fast

but how do you date a pre-1917 CCM to specifically 1904???

Max

It does appear to have the earlier chainring for the Model #7 rather than the chainring for the Model #17. Definitely a #17 though because of the fork crown and not the #7.

It's such a great bike and very rare to find one for sale these days. I've looked for 25 yrs with no luck but it would most likely show up in Australia if you were to get lucky and find one.

Dave - do you still have pics of the Model #7 Special Racer? I'll go and post the Massey Harris stuff in the "TOC RACER" thread.

Yes I still have the catalog showing the Model 7 special racer. The model 17 posted above does have the earlier sprocket than the model 17 in my 1905 catalog. The bike above does have a Marked CCM made Hussey bar dated 1901

Accles & Pollock were still selling them as "Major Taylor" stems in 1952, image from their catalogue (can be seen in full on the V-CC library site).....

This is a great find! Now, the question is when did Accles & Pollock first produced the stem and if MT was involved? Apparently A&P produced an expanded their range of sports and leisure equipment in the late 1940’s...not sure if the stem was introduced then? I've reached out to the Sandwell Archives in the UK, they're the historical service for the Access & Pollock Company. Hopefully, they can enlighten us to A&P's involvement and the timeline of this stem?

Last edited:
Back