When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone here know how to tell a real Major Taylor stem from a non MT?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I received an email today from the Access & Pollock archive service in England regarding any involvement, endorsement or a relationship with the champion Major Taylor and the ankh stamping. The email sums up what I had thought...there is no documented evidence of Major Taylor's participation in the company's archives. Accles & Pollock probably used his name as a way to market their product. I doubt that the company ever had to pay for his name! Before Jan. 1, 1978, the public domain laws were more flexible and less constrained, public domain was often based on the creator's life plus a certain number of years after death. Since Taylor's first burial was in an unmarked grave...I'm guessing his estate or any Major Taylor entity during the time ever protested the usage of his name?
Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 7.00.16 PM.png

cant find ad from bicycle magazine 1907 era selling round Major Taylor stems from worksman cycle Ny Ny!

cant find ad from bicycle magazine 1907 era selling round Major Taylor stems from worksman cycle Ny Ny!
Was the ad marketing a Major Taylor stem or just an extension stem? It shouldn't be that hard to find the connection to Worksman Cycle...they've been around since 1898 and are headquartered in Ozone Park in Queens in NYC. If you'd like I can send an inquiry about a 1907 Taylor connection?

I sent request for information, they said they did not keep any information about the company's early history. The ad I saw was a actual Major Taylor stem. Not sure what they called it.

Yes I still have the catalog showing the Model 7 special racer. The model 17 posted above does have the earlier sprocket than the model 17 in my 1905 catalog. The bike above does have a Marked CCM made Hussey bar dated 1901
David is it possible to access your copy of the 1905 catalogue

Back