When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone still make a high quality cruiser?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
From a consumer standpoint there’s not a great reason to spend a lot on building a bike where the only selling point is nostalgia. Few average people are gonna spend upwards of $700 for a heavy single speed cruiser with fenders and tank and all that, when you can get a light geared hybrid for the same price. There’s a reason why most cruisers are under the $400 price point

Holy cow, did this turn into a 4 page..... argument ?!!!!!

So, as the guy who posted the original thread, I appreciate all the responses, and the.....entertainment? I guess?

The BMX stuff is neat, but not what I am into. I guess I was more curious about 1940's-1950's style bikes and the retro-ish inspired designs that were meant to capitalize on that nostalgia. I have several old original Schwinns and a few of the 90's-early 2000's re-pops, and also quite a few Electra and Felt cruisers that were not really a copy of anything, but were meant to look "retro" I was just curious if there were still any companies building a decent quality complete Bicycle along those lines.

Again, nothing against the BMX stuff, just not my cup-o-tea

The term "Cruiser" is defined differently by different people! For me, it relates to the actual Cruiser bike Schwinn made in the early 80's because that is when I was working at the Schwinn dealer building them. It is just like the term "re-pops" that is used by people to describe the Cruiser style bikes made in the 90's and 2000's as you stated. The term re-pop is totally incorrect to describe those bikes, since they are not reproductions of any bike Schwinn previously made! The only true "Reproduction" bike made during that era was the 95 Phantom, and the rest were just the current models produced with a "Retro" look during that time period........

Last edited:
@oldcars: Did you ever think about commissioning your own design frameset? There are a lot of really talented custom frame builders in the US and I'm sure that many of them would be excited to built you your "dream cruiser".

The builder that is on the top of my list is Curtis Inglis. He is incredibly talented and an excellent eye for design!
https://ingliscycles.com/retrotec/

The way I would go about it "if I were in your shoes" would be start collecting photos of bikes that you like and make notes what part of the bike you like & not like. Then once you accumulated enough "info", pare down to group of photos and send them with the notes to a couple of builders and wait for their feedback. I wouldn't worry about geometry, because any builder "worth their salt" should/ could take care of that for you.

Also, let me apologize for turning your thread into a "pissing contest". There a few members on CABE that REALLY don't like me or my opinion ( one in particular)! 🙄
Well said Jack !

I'm 100% sure that the high point of reproductions and other "cruiser" style bikes from lets say 1985 to the early 2000's was to market to a generation who remembered them from their youth, much like all the BMX style "Cruisers" now.

I was born in 1980, but I have always liked the look of the 40-'s-50's bikes, especially with all the racks, lights, tanks, colors, etc. that can be thrown at them.

I have plenty of those bikes, but I was just curious if there were still any being made.

I keep looking at those reproduced Monark style springer forks, and dreaming of a custom welded raw aluminum frame made out of hexagonal material with some fenders and a rack, that would look like a hex bar at a glance, but be strong enough to ride a lot.... and a multi-speed hub......and led lights that looked old..........

Well said John!
I have a 4 of Johnny’s handlebars and the quality is beautiful. Regardless of the origins of the frames he builds, the bloke is a legend and still at it welding and building all kinds of quality stuff. Pure respect for the guy in this throwaway world. I have his new Powerslide bars on my 40’ Roadmaster which I just finished today. Thanks John.

IMG_4926.jpeg

Because you thought wrong, and the brand was worth a mint.
Just like the sale of Schwinn, the assets were worthless.
The name was worth a fortune.
The bummer is, when you don’t control the name, you don’t control the product that gets produced, and in the case with Schwinn, the product is just a shell of what it once was.
I now expect the same scenario with Cook Bros. Racing.
It’ll be a sad sight I’m sure.
At least with Johnny, you could’ve worked with him instead of against him, and you both could be proud of what you built.
Collaboration is the way to go.
Then you don’t have to stare down a welding torch or contract in China.
Build them here, and satisfy a hungry market for a good quality bike made in the U.S.A.
I can’t tell you how much I enjoy looking down at my True Torch knockoff, and seeing those gleaming stickers that say, Made in Santa Ana, Ca. U.S.A.
Stunning chrome plating too @cyclingday

So to answer to the original post, SE Bikes is still producing very good quality BMX Cruiser style bikes. I purchased one of the 27.5 PK Rippers a while back, this is a super quality bike, that rides so much better than all of my old classic Schwinn Cruisers. When I was working at the shop back in the early 80's, I dabbled in BMX racing at Ascot's BMX track. I built myself a 24" Floval Flyer just for racing on this track, then eventually sold the bike a few years after. This special edition PK Ripper, is very close to the Floval Flyer I had back in the day with the aluminum frame.

View attachment 1848880

View attachment 1848881
They ride exceptionally well. This is my 2021 Fast Ripper equipped with JTT bars. It rides so easily it feels it is powered.

IMG_9349.jpeg

Last edited:
Back