When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this bike really exist?

-

redline1968

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Found this ad and actually looked at it and noticed a parallel between schwinn karate and the murray eliminator.. has anyone seen one of these bikes? Do they exist ?

I do think at that point the Schwinn patent on the sissy bar was still active, since nobody else had one even remotely like it Schwinn would've sued the (axle) nuts off of whoever copied it.
My thoughts exactly also the front fork and drum break...🥺 I was wondering if schwinn caught on to this one.. also if you built this bike would it be a legit murry dragster?

I cannot find any evidence of this bike ever existing.
I do have some possible reasons it didn't.
1). The sprocket is an exact copy of the Schwinn Mag 5 speed sprocket.
2). The sissybar suspension is an exact copy of the Schwinn Krate setup.
3). The rear wheel and derailleur sure look Schwinn Approved to me.

The drum wheel may not be as much of a problem if they used an S-2 style rim.
The Atom hub was not proprietary to Schwinn and others, like Grimeca made similar setups in the 1970s-70s.
Schwinn did not have the only Spring fork of that style. Note there are no strut rods.
Bars are Wald manufacture and not proprietary, so they would be possible.

Any take on this is welcome. I am not arguing a point here, just making an observation.
I would build the bike myself but too many projects already. Still, it is tempting me.

Back