I used chemical stripper, plenty of soap & water. Applying chemical in very, very short amounts. Rubbing and wiping away with rags immediately and washing with soap & water to prevent the chemical from further eating into the rubber. Later I applied a thin coating of vaseline and wiped off with a rag until I was satisfied that there were no signs of ever having used anything. I used gloves, wore long sleeve shirt and worked in an open area with mask to avoid the toxic fumes. It’s been almost two years and there is no signs of the rubber being affected from this treatment. I am not recommending this, I’m just telling you what I did. I would rather you try something else that is safer. Good Luck.