When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doesn't look Shelby to me....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Steve K

Finally riding a big boys bike
:confused:Pulled this bicycle out of the shed and plan to take it to the Mount Airy NC show this Sunday to sell/trade.
It has a Shelby Eagle badge, but looks more Cleveland Welding to me.
It truly has kind of a Frankenbike look to it. However I do like the chain guard and chain ring but again they too are probably incorrect.
Note...there is also a weld repair to the lower bar where it attaches to head tube.:(
Thanks
Steve K

Attachments

• 101312Pics 050.jpg
    101312Pics 050.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 101312Pics 051.jpg
    101312Pics 051.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 101312Pics 052.jpg
    101312Pics 052.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 57
AMF purchased Cleveland Welding in 1951 and Shelby at the end of 1953. All Shelby’s built after 1953 are CWC based but there was no connection between the companies before that date so this bike has been rebadged at some time.

The frame itself is CWC and dates to 1940-1942. A number of the parts are generically correct for the frame excepting the chain guard, the fender braces and the saddle. The chain ring is a Hawthorne pattern ring which may be how the bike was originally badged. Interestingly the stem is a CWC exclusive unit but is correct for 1937 and 1938 so it also has also been added to this bike.

Thanks Roger and Phil for the input.
Phil...I did scrape off some paint off the bottom of the crank hanger and found the following serial number: H03205. Based upon your research, I believe it does date the frame to 1940 and it is a Cleveland Welding pre-war frame.
A Frankenbike it is.:eek:
Perhaps I should dress it up for Halloween as well.:)
Steve K
Greensboro, NC

Back