When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don't know what I'm doing, need parts and year for New Departure Model D. Help.

-

ColoradoBAP

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi bike guys,

My wife had given to her a bike from a friends junk pile as she had indicated it looked like a fun cruiser to ride around the neighborhood. I am trying to make it ridable and I don't know a thing about vintage bikes (mountain bikes I can do). It is a New Departure Model D but I can't find any way to determine the year. One post I saw indicated it may be pre-war based on the brake arm. Someone had done things to this bike that no doubt would make most of you nauseous.

I have cleaned up and addressed a few items however the primary issue now is the front axle, I don't have one. I tried to purchase a few items but nothing will fit. So the question is how do I know what front axle, bearings and caps I need and where can I get them? The parts diagrams I have found all seem to be centered around the rear hub.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Thanks for the replies. I've attached some photos so you can see what I'm dealing with. I can't find a stamp but at some point someone painted this entire bike so it could be under there. I'll keep looking.

20210408_164422.jpg

20210408_164427.jpg

20210408_164521.jpg

Thanks for the info all. I will post some pics of the bike tomorrow when the light is better. It's a bit sad even for me not being into vintage bikes. Someone had painted the entire thing blue (original color appeared to be red). The paint sealed everything together. Things they thought should be metal they painted silver. They even painted the chain which when I tried to replace I learned there is such a thing as a skip tooth chain. Who knew?? (you guys probably) The rear hub wouldn't spin, the chain was frozen by paint, just a mess. Now, if I can get this front axel I'll just need some tires and pedals and I'm good I think. Not optimal but ridable perhaps. I appreciate the responses.

Back