When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doodle Thug

-

bricycle

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
I reck'n it's ok to discuss a two wheeled motor scooter since Scott just did a post on his Kool scooter he found.
Any way, I recently picked up a rolling chassis Doodle-bug scooter from the 40's.
So upon opening my wonderful new (to me) purchase, I found that: the rear tank's filler was pushed down, and was dented in a bit where it attaches to the bikes frame. I found a suitable wrench's head to fit into and to allow me to grip underside of filler area to pull down with some force to undent it. Yea! it worked. Next, I utilized a foot or so of wood broom handle to punch out the two rear dents at the mounting surface. Yea! So far so good. I didn't care for all the solder globbed around the fuel exit fitting, so wire brushed and did a better job of solder work. Yea!
Next, I had to unbend the front fender where it slopped around the shipping crate, unfastened, and had gotten badly crushed. :mad: I used a hammer in opposite direction of bend and formed it back into submission. Yea!
I haven't been able to locate the missing jack shaft/transmission parts, so I just ordered some re-pop pieces. Blew off/cleaned engine... lots of kitty litter (oil dry) in on her for some reason. Removed dents from engine shroud.
I also ordered 10' of #41 chain so as to have extra for "Modifications" :eek::D
That's all so far, but my current plans are to forget a standard 2-3hp mill and stuff in my twin cylinder circa 1945 4 stroke cycle Fairbanks-Morse 4hp (at 1800 rpm) prob closer to 6-8 at 3600 rpm, if she goes that high.
I'm gonna name her "Doodle-Thug", cause she'll be nasty! So keep tuned... ;)
FM1.jpg
FM8.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, some progress.....
Dam, this mill is bigger than I thought. Oh, It fits in the bike no problem, but the carb and crankcase ventilation tube(6) in the dang way. Undaunted, I figured a way to install it.
DSC06169.JPG
DSC06173.JPG
DSC06176.JPG

Now THATS an ENGINE! :eek::D

Last edited:
More progress..
Ordered pulley's, chain, links.
Was gonna run a clutch pulley, but decided to go the Whizzer style slip clutch method. Devised a pulley tensioning setup, and made an arm (5) to release tension ala clutch lever/cable.(Made from a shelve bracket) That took some doing, but that's done. also ran a different brake cable, and am using a twist-grip throttle instead of lever throttle. That's done also.
Marked engine mounting holes and awaiting new titanium drill bits... all my bits are mostly crap from countless projects.
After engine mounted, should just need to finish new carb mount(3), mount gravity feed fuel tank (fuel pump had to be removed, in frames way, but will save for when I ever need to use them), install starter sheave pulley and fill with oil.

Last edited:
Some more progress....
replaced shroud on engine, removed engine, drilled engine mounting holes (nice having new drill bits!!!!!), re-installed engine, worked on carb adapter (lift).

Last edited:
More work...
Enlarged carb mount where reducer had a flange kind of in the way 12. re-mounted carb, all control cables and linkage.
Mounted fuel tank to handlebars(14), and removed main drive pulley(15) (have a heavy iron pulley to replace it(16). Old sheet metal drive pulley to be modified into rope-sheave(15). (Maybe electric start later, but heavy enough now!)
More pics coming....

Last edited:
(1) Extension I made to reach down to governor, due to having to raise carb to clear framework.
(2) Carb mounting extensions, (3) Intake manifold extension
(4) Oil dip stick (2.5 quart sump/pressure system)
(5) Slip clutch actuation arm
(6) Crankcase ventilation tube(to air cleaner)
(6.5) Crankcase ventilation extension
(7) Throttle bracketry I made
(8) Mechanical fuel pump, cannot use due to frame in the way
(9) Top of (3) intake manifold
(10) Jackshaft tensioner (water closet actuator arm...lol!)
(11) Not a lot of room to clear carb intake manifold and crankcase ventilation tube! Sigh!

DSC06177.JPG
DSC06179_LI.jpg
DSC06188_LI.jpg
DSC06186_LI.jpg
DSC06181_LI.jpg
DSC06183_LI.jpg
DSC06182_LI.jpg
DSC06180_LI (2).jpg
DSC06189.JPG

can you find the scooter on Mr. Doodle-Thug?

Last edited:
More progress...
Swapped drive pulleys out, made and installed crankcase ventilation tube extension(6.5), ran fuel line, made and installed kickstand (large eye bolt)(17).

(6.5)
Crankcase ventilation tube extension
(13) carb with air cleaner and vent extension
(14) Quart fuel tank
(15) New drive pulley
(16) Old pulley with notch cut for rope start
(17) Kick stand (large eyebolt)

DSC06198_LI.jpg
DSC06197_LI.jpg
DSC06196_LI.jpg
DSC06195_LI.jpg
DSC06194_LI.jpg