When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Down the Rabbit Hole!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SCFlyGuy

'Lil Knee Scuffer
My maiden post ... sorry, it's a long one.

I grew up in Western NY and my wife and I are spending our summers on Chautauqua Lake. My wife is an avid garage sale afficianado and about a month ago, I picked up a late 1930's men's Roadmaster frame, fork, bottom bracket (skip tooth), and chain guard. It was all of $5 and was garage kept with little rust. At first, I thought of using it as a lawn ornament, but it was just too cool for that! My objective was to begin amassing parts to put it together.

While talking to an old classmate at a reunion, I learned he had a similar bike and he offered it to me for a great price. What he had appeared to be a late-1930's Roadmaster Girls Supreme or Deluxe that was totally covered in rust. It is almost a complete bike (the only piece it is missing is the lens on the front light!), so I didn't think it was right to cannibalize it. It has stayed intact for almost 80 years and it deserves to live on!!

Here's the bike after a good wash with a little gentle brushing:
IMG_0713.JPG

Here's a closeup of the rust on the fender:
IMG_0715.JPG

After a little research, I found 'The CABE' and the wealth of information on it. When I took the tank apart, I found a very clean interior and batteries dated 1954! I replaced them with D cells and I have a working horn!
IMG_0717.JPG

I took a little oxalic acid solution and some very fine steel wool and brushed off a lot of the surface rust to expose a nice patina:
IMG_0718.JPG

As a real newbie, I have several questions.

1. What is the best way to continue the resurrection of the paint? I don't necessarily want a shiny new finish, but a little more shine would be nice.

2. Is there a tutorial on how to replace the cord on the fenders? One side is about 90% intact, but the other was destroyed.
IMG_0719.JPG

3. What are the appropriate tires for it? The rear is a Goodyear and the front is a replacement from Walmart (too thin - but I wanted it in riding condition).

4. Is there a source for appropriate replacement parts? I'd like to get a lens for the front light and new handlebar grips (the coke bottle grips are in rough shape).

Any other advice for a total rookie would be appreciated!

PS - The original men's frame that started this journey will make a nice matching set!

A simple way to clean and shine up the patina is plain old WD-40.

Spray it on heavy, let it soak in, then wipe off the excess.

it's also missing the bezel that holds the lens in place and possibly the reflector The lens is available here in the cabe services section but the bezel & reflector will be a little harder to find, they need to be for a front loader not a top loader, here is a pic. of a Delta light if yours is a DELTA it should be stamped on the bottom. As far as brightening up the paint an in expensive way is buy a can of Scotts Liquid Gold oil not foam and put it in a spray bottle and spray the whole bike and wipe it all down then spray it again and let it soak overnight .

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

Last edited:
Nice bike, the tires for it are 26x 2.125, they're available from numerous sources. Schwalbe & Felt make some really nice, period looking tires. If you go into the bike parts for sale section here & go back a couple of months, Joe Rappoza was selling some beautiful re-pop grips, don't know if he has any left. There were a couple of good threads on this site about the skirt lacing. They still do it a lot over in Holland, you might try researching there. Here is one I did last year, using the resources here. Good luck & have fun w/ them.

DSC01124_zpskfjjyebw.jpg

A simple way to clean and shine up the patina is plain old WD-40.

Spray it on heavy, let it soak in, then wipe off the excess.

Thanks for the tip! I hit it twice this afternoon with a heavy coat of WD-40 and it looks much better. More picture to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back