When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Downtube shifter cable stop for a Varsity?

-

Siestabikes

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked up this bike today and wondered if Schwinn/others made a downtube cable stop to fit over the existing braze-ons? I may switch to stem or thumb shifters.

127155340_3451563968271467_4344709038687629422_n.jpg

You can find cable stops in bike shops and certainly EBAY. That early Varsity was never designed to have them though. Roger

Here is what you can do to install stem mounted shifters on that bike using the existing lugs on the down tube. Back in the day, Schwinn sold a kit to turn the dealer demonstrators with down tube shifters into the stem mounted shifters. I am not sure if there was ever a part number for the parts needed on the down tube, but the pic will give you an idea of how it can be done using this as an example!

Here is what you can do to install stem mounted shifters on that bike using the existing lugs on the down tube. Back in the day, Schwinn sold a kit to turn the dealer demonstrators with down tube shifters into the stem mounted shifters. I am not sure if there was ever a part number for the parts needed on the down tube, but the pic will give you an idea of how it can be done using this as an example!

View attachment 1312336
If the op wants to go this route, I think I have a nos bracket with the Schwinn levers.

Nice greens bikes. i wasnt looking for clamp on cable stop but rather something period correct to fit over the downtube cable stops. i have the modern equivalents but those might look out place

Back