When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dressing Bad Welds

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

fshbydesign.com

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I got my bike about a year ago and ever since then the Helen Keller of a weld job has been bugging me. So I decided to pull out some tools and spend a few hours getting the weld presentable. it's a work in progress and I hope to be done this week so I'll post as many pictures as I can of the process. This is what it looked like before I got started.
IMG_20190914_174600398.jpg
IMG_20190914_174553145.jpg

Last edited:
This is the during process. I used a specialized flex shaft grinder that I'll post a picture of shortly, and two specialty burrs. There was a lot of material so consequently there were allot of shards flying around and I had to spend a few minutes pulling out splinters from my hands. The material came off more easily than expected and luckily I had a finishing burr available. I plan on using a mini drum sander and a vibrating sander finish up the process. It was important for me to leave consistent fillet around the periphery of the tube, so great care was taken during the semi finishing process. If you notice there are some inclusions that became present during the cleanup process, however, I do not believe these will affects the overall strength of the braze.
IMG_20190916_130041393.jpg
IMG_20190916_121213384.jpg
View attachment 1064551
IMG_20190916_120911059.jpg

Last edited:
FSH:
Metal splinters in your hands? The Safety Committee is disappointed. Please, when grinding take the time to wear hand protection (leather or kevlar gloves) and eye protection (safety glasses or face shield). If you think a metal splinter in the hand is painful, you don't want to think about one in the eye. As Sergeant Esterhaus said on Hill Street Blues, "Let's be careful out there."
sgt esterhaus.jpg

FSH:
Metal splinters in your hands? The Safety Committee is disappointed. Please, when grinding take the time to wear hand protection (leather or kevlar gloves) and eye protection (safety glasses or face shield). If you think a metal splinter in the hand is painful, you don't want to think about one in the eye. As Sergeant Esterhaus said on Hill Street Blues, "Let's be careful out there."
View attachment 1066612
I agree with eye protection of course, however, I avoid working with gloves when using rotating elements.

This is the during process. I used a specialized flex shaft grinder that I'll post a picture of shortly, and two specialty burrs. There was a lot of material so consequently there were allot of shards flying around and I had to spend a few minutes pulling out splinters from my hands. The material came off more easily than expected and luckily I had a finishing burr available. I plan on using a mini drum sander and a vibrating sander finish up the process. It was important for me to leave consistent fillet around the periphery of the tube, so great care was taken during the semi finishing process. If you notice there are some inclusions that became present during the cleanup process, however, I do not believe these will affects the overall strength of the braze. View attachment 1064549View attachment 1064550View attachment 1064551View attachment 1064552
NOD GIF.gif

FSH:
Your concern about the potential of gloves acting as "loose clothing" around rotating elements is valid. However, that concern typically relates to larger tools like lathes and jointers, where a glove could be pulled into the tool. I don't think that the small grinders that you are using on this project present that sort of hazard. It's great that we are discussing safety matters on this forum. Have fun!

FSH:
Your concern about the potential of gloves acting as "loose clothing" around rotating elements is valid. However, that concern typically relates to larger tools like lathes and jointers, where a glove could be pulled into the tool. I don't think that the small grinders that you are using on this project present that sort of hazard. It's great that we are discussing safety matters on this forum. Have fun!
I have been machining for about 30 years and have gotten countless splinters, small cuts, and small burns. Sometimes this is the price we pay when attempting to achieve aesthetically pleasing and mechanically sound results. Thus, when dressing welds the practitioner must rely on touch and sight as the prevailing senses. Gloves, however well intentioned, hamper the ability to achieve correct feel and are therefore ill-advised when doing such delicate work... Splinters generally won't kill you, they are at most an inconvenience.

Back