When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drilling New Departure Model D for .105 Spokes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Henryford2

Finally riding a big boys bike
Looking for advice on whether drilling out the New Departure Model D hub for .105 spokes is a good idea or not. If there are no issues any help or advice in drill them larger? If it's not a good idea what are the "period correct" options for a rear hub with the larger spoke holes? Thanks

I know for the CTs 125 pre Model D. Post i have a rear bendix that is 105. If memory serves me right, that one came from a 47 or 49. Thinking sometime early post for 105. Someone here will have an exact year no doubt. Good luck!

I'm saying just make it easy on yourself and pick one up. If I have one here I will shoot you a pm and just send it to ya.

Thanks, I understand that drilling the hub is a "difficult" job due to the material (heat treat). Those issues I can address. The real question is there sufficient room on the hub itself to accommodate the larger holes? My next post can very well be a Wanted post looking for the hub with the larger holes. Thanks

I have drilled a few ,very hard , went through many bits and sometimes a hole will brake out and there go's the hub

Are there .105 New Departure hubs out there to be had? How common (available) are they. Thanks

I tried tungsten, carbide, every bit I could find, nothing really worked I finally was able to do it with tiny Dremel grinding stones, but used 7 of them in the process. Not worth the effort, just advertise for one.

Last edited:
I've drilled a few of them. A drill press, a good vice clamped to it, and cutting oil is a must.

The flanges are super tough. You'll break crappy drill bits or burn them out.

There's just enough room to drill the holes large enough, but make sure you drill straight. I never broke out a hole, but I can see it happening.

I have a high quality, tapered grinding bit I use instead of drill bits, but I got it from a swap meet and don't know what brand. Definitely not Harbor Freight.

But, .105 hubs are available, like mentioned above, so that'll save you the trouble.

I've drilled a dozen or so and I use diamond bits. They're chrome vanadium with diamond grit fused to them. You run your drill press at hi speed and stab the hole a few times and it will go right through. A hub takes less than 5 minutes to complete. They don't cut as much as grinding away at the hardened metal. If you try to push the bit through, it burns up. I got mine years ago from a place called Rodman and the brand is Artu from Germany.

Back