When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dropouts determining year of a frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
B

Bob_in_WV

Hi, first time poster, probably about to expose just how new I am to this hobby.

I was of the understanding that rear facing dropouts is an indicator of a pre-war frame. But I was just looking at some Shelbys, and I found pictures showing a Donald Duck bike with the early style dropouts (http://oldbike.homestead.com/files/donaldduck.jpg). The Donald Duck was built from 49-51, so this means Shelby used rear-facing dropouts into the 50's.

I guess what I'm looking for is confirmation that if I want to be sure I find a prewar frame, I need to dig deeper than just looking at the dropouts. Or am I all wet in my understanding of what I'm seeing on the Duck bike?

Thanks for putting up with this rookie question,

Bob

Hi, you're doing fine. you would not believe how many collectors who have been around a while still believe that this is true. the problem is that it is basically true for Schwinn so everyone equates that with all manufacturers. Huffman used rear facing dropouts well into the '50's others changed over at different times. your best bet is to decide which brand you are looking at and find out from a knowledgeable collector when they changed. or more importantly, if you want a pre-war excluding all others, you need to figure out the characteristics of the brands you are looking at that make them pre-war.
Scott:cool:

Thanks 37 ... this Shelby showed up for sale claiming to be a pre-war but it sure seemed way too clean to be so old so it brought out my skepticism.

What I'm really looking for is a Schwinn frame/fork. I think I could ID one from looking at the way the seat stays curve after the bridge. Funny how a lot of old bikes listed for sale on the 'net omit that angle. That brings out my inner skeptic too.

Hey Bob,
Just a quick question:
Why would you pass over a Shelby for the hopes of buying a Schwinn? Are you buying it for the name, or do you genuinely like the lines of a Schwinn better? I was just asking, since people new to this hobby of wartime and before ballooner collecting automatically think Schwinn is the brand to look for. :rolleyes:!

* This message is brought to you by the makers of Crealm toothpaste and the society for people that roll their eyes at the people who think that everything's got to be Schwinn.

Hater....

Schwinns are like Brains every collectors got One or had One... Just never used them.:eek:

Don't look at the Elgins... you are gonna lose it!:D

Eeeeeee Baaaay......(@?@)

J A M I E

Schwinns are like Brains every collectors got One or had One... Just never used them.:eek:

Don't look at the Elgins... you are gonna lose it!:D

Eeeeeee Baaaay......(@?@)

J A M I E
problem with Schwinns is that at least brains are useful:D

Schwinn

OK guys, get real here. Schwinns were/are a WAAAAY better built bike than your dept. store/auto parts garbage and thats a fact ALL of us have known since we were kids. Their frames,rims,stems and everything else on the bike were/are much stronger and thats why even @ the original higher cost, you will always find more of them than any run of the mill Murrays,Huffys,JC Higggins (Another Murray POS) or any other brand X junker. Columbia came the closest in quality but they NEVER warranted their bikes like Schwinn. Schwinn also built the coolest looking bikes starting in the 1930's and made everyone else try to play catch up. There isn't enough space to list all of them. Aerocycle,B-6 Phantom,Jaguar,Sting-Ray.Get serious guys,with a possible few exceptions,Schwinns are the most valuable collector bikes out there. Try to get a Phantom price for some cheapo bike made in Ohio,good luck. Patrick

Schwinn

OK guys, I know you gotta be kiddin' LOL!. Schwinns are a WAAAAY better built bike than the dept. store/auto parts bikes and we ALL know this. I've known it since the early 60's. Everything about their bikes is built stronger and nicer.Thats why even @ the original higher cost, you will always find more of them than any run of the mill Murrays,Huffys,JC Higggins (Another Murray , which I have) or any other brand X, El-Cheapo bike.Schwinn out sold them all. Columbia came closest in quality but they NEVER warranted their bikes like Schwinn. Schwinn also built the coolest looking bikes since the 1930's and made everyone else try to play catch up (which they never did)There isn't enough space to list all of them,but we all know of these,Aerocycle,B-6, Phantom,Jaguar,Sting-Ray.With a possible few exceptions,Schwinns are the most valuable collector bikes out there.I'm 48 and NOBODY that I knew in the '60's, wanted that Murray or Huffy they saw @ the dept. store.We all wanted that Sting-Ray or Jaguar because they were the coolest and best built. Oh by the way, the subject was determining the years by drop-outs,well front facing drop-outs are a better idea and again Schwinn had the lead.Pat

Last edited:
I am under the impression that this post concerned pre and early post war bikes...and some light-hearted poking at the ribs of the Schwinn-o-philes...so what is your point Pat?

Back