When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dumb Question #241: How do the struts go on a springer?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Larmo63

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
How do the front fork struts go on a early 50's Schwinn springer? Do the chrome struts go inside or outside of the main painted ones? Also, while we are at it, in what order do the rear fender struts and rear rack go? Front fender struts? Why?

The chrome truss rods go on the inside of the painted springer legs. I put the fenders braces on before the rack to allow clearance for the rack. If you put the rack on first the braces will have trouble clearing the rack legs.

The chrome truss rods then go OVER the bottom of the painted leg? That's where it gets tricky on BOTH axles. I've seen done it every which way.

Thats how I do it chrome truss rods on the outside of the painted legs on both axles but I'm no expert tho LOL

Carrier struts and fender braces

THIS IS THE CORRECT POSITION OF THE CARRIER STRUTS AND FENDER BRACES!
IMG_0661A.jpg

Dude, your title of the thread just made my day man. That's hillarious! I have plenty of original untouched schwinns, let me get back to you. I'm still giggling! Sorry but it's been a LONG serious day.

I've had this same question before myself but I believe the chrome springer struts go on the inside at the top and the outside at the bottom. I have installed them inside top and bottom frequently as I think it looks right that way, but then when removing the front wheel you have to flex the painted forks outward to remove the struts from the axle, when I think the wheel is supposed to drop out of the fork slots after pulling the struts off the ends of the axle. The forks are slotted, the struts are not.

Back