When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dumpster Diamond, My Entry for the 15th Annual RRBBO

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Nice work. If you’re not done with the bike, might I suggest a banana seat with a long sissy bar and ape handle bars. JimRoy
If you follow the link to the original built thread, you'll find that at one point, I had planned to use a banana seat and sissy bar. I chose not to go that route as I wanted more of a board track vibe with a touch of OCC chopper. My current project, however, is more of a muscle bike-style build. I can give you a link to the build threads on that one if you like.

You are definitely an artist. Great build !
giphy (1).gif

That's one cool ride. I didn't know that they had those kind of competitions. Gonna have to find something to build myself. Right now I'm working on a western flyer cruiser. Don't know what year. Thanks for the post

That's one cool ride. I didn't know that they had those kind of competitions. Gonna have to find something to build myself. Right now I'm working on a western flyer cruiser. Don't know what year. Thanks for the post
Thanks! Yeah, they have an annual summer build off, then a winter build off. Sometimes the winter build off has a specific theme, like muscle bikes and BMX bikes for this winter build off. I recommend checking them out and giving it a try!

Got photos of that Western Flyer? I'd love to see it.

Just posted some in the Murray and thread. Thanks for your interest. I want to do a total restoration on it.

Here is one I built a few years back from a Columbia frame I had spare. Seat has custom rigid front and rear mounts, bar are built from a set of old paperboy bars and the weld is hidden underneath the grips so they maintain the original patina, and the front fork supports are all fabricated from bar stock and threaded rod. I loosely modeled it after a 1912 dirt track racer and used knobby tires....I have two and put 100's of miles on em and they rode like a beast.

BT1.jpg

BT2.jpg

Here is one I built a few years back from a Columbia frame I had spare. Seat has custom rigid front and rear mounts, bar are built from a set of old paperboy bars and the weld is hidden underneath the grips so they maintain the original patina, and the front fork supports are all fabricated from bar stock and threaded rod. I loosely modeled it after a 1912 dirt track racer and used knobby tires....I have two and put 100's of miles on em and they rode like a beast.

View attachment 1337586

View attachment 1337587
Duuuuude, that is niiiiice! You got any additional photos of the seat mounts?

Duuuuude, that is niiiiice! You got any additional photos of the seat mounts?

I dont have any pics of the red one but here is a close-up shot of the rigid mounts on my tan tracker I built first. You can see that its 1/4 steel flat bar basically utilizing the original rear seat pan spring bolts as mounts and mounting thru the frame with small heavy grade bolts. I have since improved this design and on the red one the vertical supports and the bracket under the seat are separate so i can fine tune the rear of the seat angle and flow better with the bike frame.
The front mount is a tad harder to explain but let me see if I can paint a picture. I cut the seat mast off flush with the top of the frame so the seat nose will sit directly on the frame. Then I took an old seat post and welded a nut to a washer and flipped it to sit down inside the seat post and welded it. Basically this turns the seat post into internal threaded rod. I screw the seat post to the front seat pan bolt then stick it down in the seat tube until the seat sits flush.

Folks give me alot of grief about my riding position (O that cant be comfortable) but I assure you its actually much more comfortable than folks would think and Ive made alot of folks believers by letting them ride it. The science is, yes you are sitting in a downward position like a road bike, but the seat is dropped around 4-5 inches from stock and backwards around the same amount so the position is quite nice and Ive put 100's of miles on this bike.

seat mount.jpg

BT3.jpg

Alright, I'm itching to revisit this bike and rebuild it the way I really want, so it's time to begin...
PHASE TWO!!!!!! (I even made this GIF in Photoshop to help emphasize how ready I am to get this bike finished up!)

Okay, so when I originally built this bike, there were a bunch of finishing details I didn't get to add to Dumpster Diamond. I had to settle for a "good enough" design in order to meet the September 1st deadline for the 15th annual Rat Rod Bikes Build Off at ratrodbikes.com. I think it looked okay in the end, but I knew I'd want to revisit this bike again at some point. Well, I still have some cash left in my bike build fund, plus some additional "play money" from Christmas and my birthday. So, Dumpster Diamond's getting rebuilt, hopefully even better than before.

I did some more mockups on Friday last week, mostly so I'd have something to trace over in Photoshop. Here, I'm exploring my earlier ideas for a custom triple tree fork and a set of stealth cup holders disguised as a V-twin engine. I know I want the triple tree fork to happen, so that most likely will be the first new element I tackle, but I'm still not sure about the fake engine. My original plan for that engine was to add a false down bar to make the frame look more like a motorcycle's, but the more I looked at that false down bar illustration, the more it made me think of a cow's udder. It just didn't look right. I'm also still not sure how I'd build this engine and make it functional.

I also want to move the front-facing number plate down a few inches, as it just sat too high up for my liking. I feel that making it level with the head badge looks better. I also want to add some truss rods to mimic those old 1920s board track racer motorcycles. I'm not 100% sure how all of this will go together, but it should be a whole lot easier to figure out than the dummy engine.

It's so much cooler to see the triple tree fork idea on a mostly-complete bike, versus when I had initially mocked this up on a bare frame. The sight of those 3 handlebar stems together like that just looks so cool to me. I'm going to need to redesign the tank so I can steer though, as the current tank has too much material up front for the forks to rotate properly.

So what's next? Well, I want to trace some of these new photos in Photoshop so I can better flesh out my ideas for the final design of this bike. In addition to the forks and engine/cup holders, I'll be coming up with a new paint scheme similar to my initial concepts, as well as new decals for the tank. I'm probably going to want to find a new set of handlebars, as the ones I have aren't exactly straight; one end dips lower than the other. If I can't save the pair of pedals I had originally planned to use, then I'll be on the hunt for some new ones.

Realistically, I probably won't start any actual modifications to this bike until I finish a few other bike projects first. This one's still technically a rider, while the rest of my project bikes are in pieces. My main goal is to get most if not all of my bike projects finished or at least close to finished by the end of the year. While that means I'll probably work on more than one bike at a time, I do have a few I want to get done by a certain date.

Stay tuned for more!

Last edited:
Back