When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Duro Tires...start the day with a bang

-
Some years back I had a thread on the new Kenda tires and tubes on the SBF that I was installing on my late 1961 Continental. Both original tubes were 3 times thicker than the cheap kenda tubes and they fit the rim like a glue on tire when inflated to 10 PSI. When I inflated the new Kenda tubes wrapped on the rim with no tire I couldn't believe how deformed they looked and they did not hug the rim. I could have used those Kenda tubes on a 36" rim or bigger! Trying to install those new tires with those crapass tubes was a real chore keeping the tube from bunching up and getting pinched. Ended up carefully installing the tubes deflated and then put in a few PSI before I beaded the other side of the tire to see how the tube was situated. After messaging the tube a few times I beaded the other side and pumped up the tire to 30 psi. Made sure the tire was beaded evenly and then went to 65 psi and no issues as the tires popped into place. After seeing what those new POS kenda tubes looked like slightly inflated, I just shook my head in the WTF mode until the job was finished. And they don't hold air for very long!
It is amazing how much thicker older inner tubes are compared to todays.

If you think the tubes are too thin, upgrade to "thornproof" tubes. Not that much more money and they do last a lot longer on a commuter. And ALWAY check the seating on any tire. They all need some adjustment. If you mess up, best case is a pinch flat down the road. Worst is an early morning explosion that wakes everyone up.

It's happened many times, filled it full and turned around to see a big bubbled tube out the side ready to pop, ( happens fast with a compresser or tank ) usually get the air out before that happens but a few I didn't. Had my JCH Hedder tank at the Moon Eyes car show & I had just put a new tube in and filled it without checking, turned my head to put the air tank away and " BANG " , It's sad to say but never seen so many people dive for cover!, fellow Caber didn't ck his bead at the Orange ride!
1578540712305.png

Last edited:
I think I may have found one problem. I know my rim had a noticeable radial hop. I didn't think it was that bad until I rigged up a dial indicator. Not NASA perfect , but the results were about .096 of an inch ( 2.43 mm) out of whack.

What do you all think?

I think I may have found one problem. I know my rim had a noticeable radial hop. I didn't think it was that bad until I rigged up a dial indicator. Not NASA perfect , but the results were about .096 of an inch ( 2.43 mm) out of whack.

What do you all think?
That is quite a bit of wobble. What's the radial TIR?

Back